Problem with diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im pretty sure i have diatoms in my tank, ive had them for about 3 weeks now.. Its a bunch of rust/brown algae on my sand and pumps. My lighting isnt old, my levels are all reading ok, i do schedule pwc's, i feed every other day, protein skimmer is working fine, and my flow is good, but i vaccum them up and there back the next day and worse... Do i have to just wait and let them die off? I have some pictures

Attachments

• image-1797016831.jpg
    image-1797016831.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2768660966.jpg
    image-2768660966.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-895127704.jpg
    image-895127704.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
If it is diatoms, it feeds off of silicates in the water. Are you using RO/DI or are you using treated tap water? There will always be some silicate when you start up a tank but the diatoms should consume it then die off. If you are using tap you may be adding silicates back in when you do PWC.

If it is red algae, there can be many issues causing it. Phosphates are one but again, that would be taken care of by using RO/DI. Overfeeding or keeping you lights on too long can also play a big part. Water flow is another big part of it. If it is red algae increasing water flow should help.

Hope all that helps. :)

Ive been using primo purified water, 5 stage purification with reverse osmosis being one of thos stages.. Ive had red algae before but this is different, much darker and brown.. And ive noticed it gets worse the longer the lights run..

What is your lighting cycle? How much are you feeding and how many fish? Last thing I would recommend would be to test the RO/DI water before you mix it and see if it has any phosphate in it. If the filters are old, you may be getting phosphates.

Lights are only on for about 7 hours, 4 fish, i feed every other day, tested the water for phosphates all clear, filter pad is kind of old..

I am no expert but regurgitating things I have read on this site. LOL The next thing I would try, assuming you don't have any corals, would be turning the lights off for several days. It won't hurt the fish and may kill off the algae. If you are not comfortable taking advice from a novice I would totally understand. hehehehe Hope someone with a little more experience jumps in here.

Back
Top Bottom