Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Problems with my fish

I have a 3 month old 40g tank, I started with damsels and clowns, and I found out I over populated the tank. (my pet store didn't tell me). Since then I haven't bought anything else. Well, I have been missing fishes very often, just a week ago about 5 of them died. And today I'm down to my last one. I test my own water and also have my local pet store test it as well, but everything seems to be great. My fish had ick, which I treated and they seemed to get way better, they didn't have any white spots. I feed them every 2 days flakes and shrimp. I have no clue why they are dying! Any suggestions.?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need more information. What are your exact parameters? How many fish do you have in there now? How did you cycle the tank? Do you have live rock, filter, sump/refugium? Did you quarantine the fish? Do you have a QT? How did you acclimate? Really need a lot more detail.

Right off the bat I'm going to say you have the answer already. Overstocking. Plus damsels are bullies and are not the best tank mates. Overstocking leads to stress and eventually disease. I would do some more research on sw tanks to help you with a good clean healthy tank. There are lots of great articles on this site alone.

Steve

Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I have been learning a lot from this site. I have only 1, I have a lot of crabs, snails, feather duster, and one healthy clam. I have 2 filters, and a skimmer. No algae spreading. I will retake the parameters today.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

45+ lbs of live rock. I cycled it with the rock for a month. I have some sponges and a lot of crabs and snails. I had no clue the damsels weren't no nice, my pet store told me they get a long fine.... Oh well. I will def do my research before I restock my tank. I will now focus on learning about what kid I could have in a reef.

Thank you
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anytime...Steve
Old 03-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How many fish did you have in it at the high point?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

8 small, 1.5" at the most
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is that overstocked?! I've seen 50g reef tanks with lots of little fish that lived very happy for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com