problems with sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright, i got my substrate changed over to sand just recently, within the last month or so, and right now i have been noticing that the brown stuff that was always covering my cc is now covering my sand. my clean up crew has been dying off, not so much recently, but in the past, and i have plans to go and pick up about 6 or 7 more snails tomorrow. is that going to be enough, or what else would i need? i don't think that the snails are going to cover the sand, so what will? and please remember that i am limited to my selection due to my location.

sounds like a diatom bloom this is normal with a replaced substrate... it does cause a small cycle as the bacteria start to infiltrate the new sand....
Increase flow to the area increased water changes and decreassed feedings. Also increased water changes will help ...I would increase the snails to 15-20 and a few blue leg hermit crabs also pick up a few empty shells so they dont shelljack your new snails for new homes .. Nasserious (sp) will stirr the sand if you can get them get a few 10-15 to stir the sand bed :mrgreen:
I also forgot to ask how old are your lights , what are they temp and wattage...
and your water sorce ?
perhaps changing the filter media too .

Agreed. New substrate routinely causes a diatom algae bloom. It will likely go away on its own in a month or so.

i will increase my water changes, and also get some extra snails. the problem with the hermits is that i haven't seen any for sale at either of the lfs that i go to. i have been keeping my eyes out for some, but yet to find any. are there any kinds of fish that would help stir up the sand? i read somewhere that there are certain kinds of gobies that will do that, correct? which ones? oh, and my lights are only 64 watt total, and they are less than a year old.

liveaquaria.com has a Sand Sifter Gobies section but with your 6 chromis your tank is maxed out already IMO. If you returned a couple of your chromis then it would be fine.

are they power compact or NO ?
if they are hitting6-9 months you may look into changing the bulbs out as this will aid in algae... Yes there are certin gobies that will , watchmen goby may sift sand .Here are a few
goby 1

goby2

perhaps even a pistol will help as they sift the sand too
gob3 will pair with pistol shrimp

Those are all great selections. Do you have access to fighting conchs?

i haven't seen any, but i am always finding new places to shop from. i am going to have to print out some pictures or take a book with me or something, and ask for some. thanks for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom