project 29 gallon fowlr fuzzy dwarf lion...am i insane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
i think it's finally for real. i'm setting up a saltwater tank.

received a 29 gallon all-glass from a couple of my friends for christmas. i was always talking about setting up a heavily planted tank, and i think they just wanted to make sure i got started. i had it all planned out, every little bit: fish stock, aquascape, filtration, lighting, etc.

and then i have a completely random thought: fuzzy dwarf lion. and at first i tried to blow it off, but it persisted. then i started doing some reading and find out that people actually keep dwarf fuzzies in 29 gallon fowlr setups.

good bye dreams of a mid -sized, lush underwater garden.

hello saltwater.

now this is the part where i need help.

the only thing i have right now is the tank. the thing that would be most helpful would be a checklist of what i need.

powerheads (brand?/flow rate?/etc?)
liverock(how many #'s?/recommended online dealers/...)
sand/livesand(dsb?/anything else?)
heater (brand?/wattage?/whatnot?)
words of encouragement(hey tyler! welcome aboard! hope you brought your wallet, cause it's a long ride!/anything else you can think of... :wink: )

thank you, everybody.

Hey tyler! welcome aboard! hope you brought your wallet, cause it's a long ride! :D

29 gal

Tyler,
Here's my thoughts on this:
Powerheads: Go with Maxijets
Flow: Try to get water flow to about 10x or, in your case, about 290 gph
Heater: Get 2 100w Ebo Jagers or Visi Therms
LR: About 50lbs
DSB: I like them...use playsand or Carib Sea Seaflor
Lights: I'd use 2 55-65 watt PC's, but you really don't have to have that much if you're not going to have any inverts in there that need lots of light.
Wallet: Get a small one...when you're done with this, you probably won't have anything to put in it anyway :).
Welcome!
Are you going to have a sump on this tank?
Logan J

thanks guys

logan - i won't have a sump. i don't know how, and i don't really have the room.

how much space is the lr going to take up? is the lion even going to be able to move? would i be alright with just a case (45 lbs)? i really don't know how dense this stuff is at all, so i can't really picture it.

would one 55 and a double 24" NO strip be enough?

Its my understanding that lions are rather stationary fish so they swim around less than many other fish.

1 45lb box would work fine I think. you would get a few large rocks (7-8lbs) and a few smalelr rocks 4-6lbs and then a few small <1lb rubble.

If your just gonna do FOWLR then I would think that 1 55W PC and maybe 1 NO actnic would be fine for lighting. The actinic for more looks and to help the coraline.

45 lbs is a lot of rock for a 29. It will be full. You should be able to make a nice mound that reaches nearly to the top of the tank with a cove for hiding/sleeping. I assume these lions stay small. Make sure you leave a space to swim from one end to the other.
I would use a DSB in order to clean up uneaten food and a Prizm protein skimmer. I have a 29 I'm using to temporarily house a puffer and it is such a messy eater that a protein skimmer would really come in handy (ordered it a week ago).

Mark

thanks aaron and mark.

well, i think i'll go overkill on the lighting just in case...

will i need any sort of clean up critters, or will they become snacks?

perhaps there's a better fish choice? i really don't want a fish that is going to bum around. then again, they are probably the most impressive fish i can put in that tank. i don't know.

A note on lighting!
If in fact you decide on going with a lion (a fuzzy dwarf or a Fu Manchu would be fine with a tank like this.. feather duster worms are a nice addition with these guys..just be sure to keep a turkey baster and pureed seafood to keep them happy) Keep in mind: lions, more than any other fish, are subject to blindness from over enthusiastic lighting.. keep it on the dim side.. and your lion will thank you. At the very least.. provide plenty of cover! One advantage to lions.. they are pretty hardy, and while stationary, will give you a good display near dusk and after feeding..

lion

Tyler,
I think you'll like the fuzzy dwarf lion. Although they aren't very active, they are very personable fish. They will get to know you and will rush to greet you when you approach the tank. They like to get under something and just hang out. Don't worry if you see your lion upside down under a rock ledge...that's normal. It will probably reach 5-6" with 7" being about the max size. They, like any other carnivore, are messy and generate lots of waste. I agree 100% with Marks suggestion to get a skimmer. You won't need it right away, but I wouldn't wait more than a couple of months at the most.
Also, don't let anyone tell you to feed it freshwater feeder fish. They do not have the nutrients that the lion needs. They can also block his digestive tract which is fatal. Lions who are fed like this will eventually die from liver failure. He needs a varied diet of shrimp, fish, clams, ect... If he isn't interested in dead food, try using a feeding stick to wiggle it around some. Once he discovers that it's good, he'll eat it with no trouble. Don't feed him more than every other day...lots of people feed twice a week. Most of what he needs for food you can get at the grocery store. An occasional cricket makes a good treat, but not too often.
As far as tankmates, nothing that will fit in his mouth is safe. I don't know about sea stars...you might be able to have one of those. You could probably also have a urchin. I think shrimp of any kind would disappear.
Fuzzys are not extremely agressive (as compared to other lions), but they can deliver a VERY painful sting so be cautious about putting your hands in there with him. That's about all I know about them...hope it helps some :).
Logan J

so you don't think i should consider anything else? i'm a big puffer fan...valentini? though even a partially reef compatable fish would be much more desired. i want something i can appreciate every time i look at the tank. it'd also be nice if it was something others could appreciate just as much. well, i guess i still have a long ways to go...

lion

Sure...you should consider all your options. If you're anything like me, you'll change your mind 15 times before the fish actually goes in the tank. The limiting factor is the tank size. I think you could keep a dwarf lion in a 29 with no trouble. Most, if not all, of the puffers will eventually need larger accomodations. If you're willing to spend the bucks for the lighting, you could have a nice reef tank with a 29. My 29 has been about everything at one time or another...currently set up for a Figure 8 puffer. You could keep some small fish and lots of inverts in it.
Logan J

I myself am planing to change my 30L into SW and add a dwarf lion and a Maroon clown. I originally was going to get a pair of 36" VHO's from Hellolights.com ( a 10,000k and actinic). I just read that too much lighting could be harmfull for a lion.

What would be a good lighting setup. It will be FOWLR. Also what would be a good less expensive skimmer.

skip, i would make sure you purchase a very large maroon clown to make sure the lion doesnt swallow him whole.

If the tank is going to fowlr I dont see a problem with a 2 bulb NO setup. One 10000k and one actnic. They are inexpensive and would bring out the color in you fish just fine.

I have had very good luck with Seaclone protien skimmers. They are cheap, but Id say, they have the most bang for the buck. You can check them out at www.petwarehouse.com or www.fishsupply.com. Both places have good prices.

i wouldn't imagine a 4" valentini needing more than 29 gallons, but, as you said, i'll probably change my mind a few million times before this thing gets going. that's why i wouldn't mind getting a little more lighting than i need (in case i start thinking reef). perhaps i could get a ballast that controls individual bulbs.

too much thinking...

puffer

I think you would be OK with that particular puffer in a 29. Most SW puffers get larger than the Valentini which, as you said, gets about 4". Keep us posted on what you decide.
Logan J

oh, you guys will be with every step of the way. don't worry about that.

first thing is first...funding. if anybody would care to donate towards getting me involved in the amazing world of sw aquaria, please pm me... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom