Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Proper water changin?

this may sound stupid but being new to this Im wondering what the proper way to change tank water is withoug making a mess and cloudy tank? do you dip it out or siphon it out? and pour it in or what? this is my fisrt tank sence I was a kid and fist SW. thanks for you help

MikeM8560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
For me, I siphon it out... taking the opportunity to suck gunk off the rock, do a little sand vacuuming, sucking up bubble algae, etc.

I then pump it back in from a bucket using a MaxiJet powerhead and some tubing. No clouds, no mess.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I do the same sort of way to get it out, but I just put the new water in my sump and turn the return pump back on.
sqrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I put the bucket as close to the water as i could, then would put my hand over the streem to defelect the full force of the water hitting surface.. now i just add it to my sump
MichaelsLilGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I siphon it out and use a big cup to dip it out the 5 gallon buckets that I make My SW in.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put a 32 gal plastic garbage can on a chair w/ wheels. siphon about 15 gals. out of the tank. wheel chair to sink and pump out. rinse can and fill to mark w/ ro/di from other 32 gal can, roll to tank area, mix in Instant O to spec and pump back into tank.Total time appx. 3/4 hr.
cagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
I use (2) 45 gallon brute garbage containers on wheels. I fill one garbage container with RO/DI water and then add the salt. With in the garbage container is a thermometer and power head. I usually let my water mix for 24 hours. I then use a pump with tubing and suck water from the tank to the other empty garbage container I then wheel over my mixed sw and add it to the tank.

300 Gallon

View My Tank
themangia1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com