Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ididit1119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone give me direction to a good quality HOB protein skimmer that will not eat me up in the wallet? I am working with a 55 gallon FOWLV and going to be using Eheim canisters. :silly:

i disagree with a remora being a good skimmer. i think it's the worst hang on i've ever worked with.
a HOB skimmer i've used that worked well for me was the aqua-medic turbofloater.
the only thing i didn't like about it was the large pump that sat in the tank.

i've heard good things about octopus hang on skimmers, but i've never had the opportunity to try one.

I've heard alot of good things about the AquaC Remoras but I am in the same boat as you, not sure which one to go with yet, sorry :-?

I don't run a skimmer but Bak Pak comes up as a good HOB skimmer......

I dont know about it being the best, but for my 55 gal i'm using a coralife super skimmer 65 - but I got it for $50 used on Ebay ( check there first!! ) great working condtion. Im sure theres better, but it seems to be pulling nice yucky thick black stuff out of my aquarium just fine :)

seaclones get a bad rap, but mine is always skimming and has been for a year now. Less than a hundred bucks - always foam coming out the top. I cant complain !

Thank all you!

I would like to say thank you for all the input. I don't know what I would do well yes I do I would have already spent way over my limit and not been satisfied. You all have a great site keep up the good work!!!:n00b:

This is one of those questions that if you asked 10 different people you will get 10 different answers. I use an excalibur that I love but I`m not sure if they have a HOB. You talk about cheap but I had a skilter HOB when I had my 55 and while I`ll admit it was not near one of the best it did pull up a good bit of skimate. It was pretty cheap also. Around the 50 dollar range.

I got a red sea mini floater from ebay.....but i researched it and talked to my uncle (hes been in sw and fw for more then 30 years) and he said that red sea was a good brand and i got mine off ebay for about 30 dollars

Back
Top Bottom