Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received and installed my new Aqua C Remora skimmer. Seems to be working great. My question is do i have to run it 24 hours per day or would 18 to 20 be adequate? My problem is the tank is in my living room and is quite loud.

24/7 as long as you don't mind the noise IMO. Your skimmer is your main source of waste removal and is a vital part of keeping your water clean/healthy.

Having said that I personally do not run my skimmer 24/7 because I don't like the noise after work while I'm trying to relax and my tank doesn't suffer in the slightest from not running it 24/7.

NOT running a skimmer 24/7 does not hurt the skimmer (it will still work fine IME) but of course if you have trouble keeping your tank's water perfect then I would highly recommend running it 24/7.

My skimmer's set on a timer to run from 10 PM to 4PM (18 hours) so I have nothing but the sump pump to hear after work which is virtually silent.

I have an AquaC Remora. It was really loud for about 1 week or so then it quieted down. I would try to take the noise if you can or just run it for the time period you spoke about, though it will get better.

Back
Top Bottom