Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Protein skimmer dilema!

Hi guys and gals,

Tomorrow I plan on cutting access holes for my protein skimmer but on which side of the tank, on the side where the inlet/outlet pipes are for my filter or on the opposite side?!

I am having powerheads at each end of the tank if that makes any difference!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would consider accessing your skimmer for emptying and cleaning purposes and be sure that this is easily done. I have found in the past that it is worth placing the skimmer at the opposite end to the filter inlet / outlet pipes as you have suggested. Then I would look at where the powerheads should go! I have a 125g reef and believe it or not just run 3 p/h due to coral placement and some well thought through positioning of my skimmer / outlets - everyone is different though! I would be careful not to have the p/h too close to the skimmer as this will effect the efficiency. My guess is once you have set up and got going with the skimmer you will have to move the p/h's due to algae or cyano etc. Good luck - let me know how you get on!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm glad you said the opposite side as input it in yesterday on that side but slightly away from the edge to compensate for my p/h (when they decide to turn up!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1535109491.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	45562  
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can't see from the pic but do u have a sponge on the outlet of the skimmer? It acts as a diffuser but I always take mine off, improves flow and they also tend to hang on to nitrates if left in. They are of no real benefit so u could remove it if u like! The tank looks like a fluval is it? I have a four foot one for fish only! What do u plan to keep in urs? How are you cycling?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for that advice Paul, it's a rubbish loose fit on that outlet pipe anyway and would always be falling in!

It's a 4ft fluval Vicenza 260 bow front with the fluval 305 canister filter! Got it for an absolute steal as they are discontinuing that range. Just needed some tlc!

We are going to be building up LR behind that shipwreck, hopefully this Sunday we will be filling up with RO water!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sure it will look nice all built up! Good luck, I hope all goes well! This site is excellent for advice - always someone to help!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Paul, I will be putting regular updates on the members tank section as we go!

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok just got my tank up and running, balancing the skimmer was a pain, I got wet!!

Anyway, my skimmer seems to be either putting a lot of tiny particles into the water or lots of micro bubbles, lil bit worried!
I've tried it with and without the sponge on the outlet pipe but it's the same, any advice?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2566082701.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	45915   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3209315294.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	45916  

Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
let the skimmer run for a while til it breaks in once it breaks in the micro bubbles will stop or better yet turn it off while your cycling then turn it back on when the cycle is done because right now theres nothing to skim anyway
Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahhh, that would make good sense! I shall let it run over night and then turn it off! Thanks for the advice!

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com