Protein Skimmer not acting right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
My protein skimmer has decided not to function right. Could I clean it in vinegar to maybe get build-up out? Is one even necessary, I have another regular filter going...
I have;
2 nemo's
coral beauty angel
sail fin tang
niger trigger
and a spotted grouper (im trying to re-home after down sizing from 2 tanks to 1)

The problem is the collection cup is not collecting while there is bubbles going up to it.
Thanx!

Instead of using vinegar, I usually just use an old toothbrush to get in there and get the gunk out when it gets built up too heavy. With that Trigger, I'd say the skimmer is a necessity. They are some messy guys when feeding.

I know you didn't ask for advice on the fish, but I'd becareful with that grouper and trigger with the clowns. My bro had a trigger that ate both his clowns, wasn't pretty.

How big is the tank?
How long have you had the skimmer?
Was it working correctly before and stopped or has it never worked?
How often do you feed the tank?
What other filtration are you using? LR?

I clean out my cup weekly, use a tooth brush to wipe off the junk on the intake valve and probably do a complete wash through with fresh water and a bit of vinegar ( I shake it up real good) and give it a good cleaning once a month. It seems if I dont, bubbles dont foam up very nicely. I think it helps. If you have some really stubborn buildup, soaking it in some vinegar as mentioned before will help.

Last edited:
protein skimmer

good morning,does the flow rate have anything to do with the way it performs?

Would be more helpful if you could post what kind of skimmer and what exactly 'not to function right' means

Back
Top Bottom