Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Protein skimmer question

What is the color for optimal skim liquid in my protein skimmer? I am still trying to find the right balance .. Any tips thank you

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

bri6679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Depends but usually it's brown, if you feed a lot or phyto plankton it will be dark green.

kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Depends on the tank and stock too. In my 180g with the tangs and lots of other fish my skimmer is full of a thick almost motor oil kinda consistency. It reeks to high heaven it glops out when I clean it. Totally gross lol
On my 90g and other tanks its a dark brown usually, liquid no doubt but a nasty black liquid.
You can adjust the type of skimmate you get by adjusting the skimmer. Just depends on the skimmer as to how to adjust it
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote

protein, protein skimmer, question, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com