PROTEIN SKIMMER? Uber NOOB Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike3epanda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't much of how Protein skimmers work but all I know is that it takes out poop using bubbles... if i buy this am i gonna buy like cartridges & stuff?.. or do i just wash somethig out and put it back on again... thanks in advance

You have to empty and clean the collection cup often.
Here is a tip for you, do not buy a seaclone skimmer.

saywill said:
You have to empty and clean the collection cup often.
Here is a tip for you, do not buy a seaclone skimmer.
thanks for comment... but does that mean seaclone skimmers require it?

The skimmer will have a collection cup, this is where the waste goes.
What I meant was the brand "SEACLONE". I have this skimmer and I would not recommend it.

Yes all you`ll have to do is empty the collection cup and clean the skimmer monthly. I use an excalibur brand skimmer.

I've read mixed reviews on Jebo.
Even at my LFS they said Jebo wasnt all that great. Kinda a hit or miss, it either worked really well or didnt work for diddly squat.

Oddysea is Jebo reborn, renamed, or the brother breaking off from Jebo, which ever it is I've been hearing good things about there NEW equipment. Being solid and compariable to some of the big players out there. I seams they learned that you make more by makeing good stuff vs cheap products.

I've just ordered all my goodies and most of it is oddysea.
I'll post under Equipment more about it once I have everything and have it up and running

mike3epanda said:
Innovator said:
thanks, just what i've been looking for!.... so i guess i shouldn't get jebo... I'll try to find a different one.... i might get a used one on craigslist

Yeah dont get a JEBO. I made the mistake and bought one and it made a mess of water all over my floor. Bad skimmer good PH.

I have a CPR Bak Pak 2 on my 24gallon, literally within 30 minutes of plugging it in, the waste cup was full...works fantasic.

Bonez said:
I have a CPR Bak Pak 2 on my 24gallon, literally within 30 minutes of plugging it in, the waste cup was full...works fantasic.

I believe that you are skimming a little too quick. Try slowing it down some. mine takes a few days to fill.

artoledo said:
Bonez said:

I believe that you are skimming a little too quick. Try slowing it down some. mine takes a few days to fill.

That was just when I first bought it, it takes about a day to a day and a half to fill now :p

I run a Euro-Reef skimmer on my 210gal and it works great! Euro-Reef has my vote. A little pricey, but it does its job well.

Back
Top Bottom