(PS) Protein Skimmer Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a PS last weekend and right now it is pulling allot of junk out of my tank. As a "rule of thumb", how long should I wait to see a difference in my Nitrates?

Whats your nitrate level now, how often do you feed them, how often do you do water changes and what size is the tank.

tonedogz said:
Whats your nitrate level now, how often do you feed them, how often do you do water changes and what size is the tank.

I'm at 20 ppm. I feed them once and sometimes a little more later on since I have a yellow goby watchman and a Firefish that likes to hide some of the time and misses they're feedings. I do pwc weekly. I have a 55g FOWLR tank.

In my opinion, you won't see a drop in nitrates with using a skimmer. The skimmer can help with nitrates levels as it removes organics from the water but it doesn't actually eat up trates. :-D

More water changes and less feedings will be the best way to see a decrease. Don't worry if one fish misses food time, they can for quite a while and you can catch them the next day. Alot of people only feed a couple times a week and they keep happy fat fish is that helps. lol

carey said:
In my opinion, you won't see a drop in nitrates with using a skimmer. The skimmer can help with nitrates levels as it removes organics from the water but it doesn't actually eat up trates. :-D

More water changes and less feedings will be the best way to see a decrease. Don't worry if one fish misses food time, they can for quite a while and you can catch them the next day. Alot of people only feed a couple times a week and they keep happy fat fish is that helps. lol

Ok. Thx Carey

Back
Top Bottom