Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Psychedelic fish good community fish?

My friend has a 20-25 gallon saltwater tank and wants me to order her a psycheldelic fish from work. Are psychedelic fish a good choice for a small tank with only clownfish and live rock? How hardy are they and are they peaceful? What other fish could you put with them?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Quote:
psycheldelic fish
LMAO, never heard of such a thing. Could we possibly get a sceintific name?

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Would you be speaking of the Psychedelic Mandarin, Synchiropus picturatus? If so, then no. They are difficult to ween onto prepared foods and for more experienced aquarists who are willing to dedicate more time to their needs.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I agree with Innovator. If your talking about the mandarin, they need a large established tank with lots of live rock to survive because they only eat live foods; however, some have been able to eat prepared foods, but these are hard to come by.

Same thing goes for the Spotted Green Mandarins and Scooter blennies.

One thing I noticed when I was at my lfs was they are so cheap. They were under $15, pretty much the cheapest sw fish you could buy but one of the harder ones to keep. And most of the people that buy them dont have the proper accommodations for one.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #5

Lol whenever I called it a mandarinfish or synchiropus picturatus no one knew what I was talking about. Personally I don't feel a 20 gallon tank is suitable for any saltwater fish, but are there any fish that would survive comfortably in one?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dragonets should be in at least a 55 gallon established tank w/ plenty of lr and a refugium.

There are lots of gobies that would do good. A pair of young clownfish would work well, you'd have to upgrade later though. Check out this list
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_
Personally I don't feel a 20 gallon tank is suitable for any saltwater fish, but are there any fish that would survive comfortably in one?
It can be done but you`ll need to be dilligent on tank maintance. The smaller the tank the less forgiving it will be on mistakes and not doing your water changes. Here is a small list of some fish that would do OK in a 20 gallon tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #8

I know it can be done when you keep up with water changes and tank maintenance, but a 20 gallon tank doesn't give much space to replicate their ecosystem. I don't think she changes her water often so its a good thing I didn't order this fish for her before hand! Thank you for the suggestions. I'll let her know the psychedelic is not a good choice.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just wondering do you work at a lfs?

Tags
community

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com