Psycho's 75 fowlr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another question: I know eels tend to escape without a top. Do you think one would escape from this?

24v6sjq.png

There's about a half inch open in the front and a half inch open in the back.

My understanding is you can't have any gaps/holes.

I wasn't sure because people say egg crate is fine, but I'm sure that would be harder for one to squeeze through. I have plastic pieces I can attach to the glass, but not sure how I would run wires out. I guess I would have to try to drill the plastic.

I would put the plastic pieces on and drill them. Good luck keep posting

I would put the plastic pieces on and drill them. Good luck keep posting

Thanks for the advice. There's actually a tiny gap with the plastic pieces on so I can run a wire or two out. Problem solved. The only thing I'll be running out is a powerhead.

My concern is that my sump isn't very big. I'd prefer to put the heater in the sump, but fear the water may be too shallow. I wasn't sure if it had to be completely submerged
why dont you just place the heater horizontal in the sump

So I hooked up the return pump. It puts the water back into the tank pretty fast. At that point the pump stays just barely fully submerged. Is that normal?

Solved the return pump issue. Currently mixing salt. Ordered base rock and going to get a little live rock on Saturday

Any stocking advice? My girlfriend and I keep bouncing back and forth between "predator/aggressive" and somewhat peaceful. I know it's about preference, but having never owned a saltwater tank, I'm not sure what will be more enjoyable to watch.

Idea one.
Russell's Lionfish
Snowflake eel
Foxface
Flame Angel
Yellow Eye Kole tang.

Idea two
Yellow eye Kole tang.
Ocellaris+Snowflake Ocellaris
2 Bangaii Cardinals
Coral Beauty
3 more small fish
Shrimp, hermits, emerald crabs, and snails

IYE which would be more enjoyable to see everyday/ fall asleep looking at?

Personally I'd like your first tank. When it comes to FOWLR, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be an aggressive tank. I have a snowflake eel and love it. Very active, just make sure you have a top.

As for your second idea, cut out the tang and you can make yourself a future reef build in a 55 gal.

Personally I'd like your first tank. When it comes to FOWLR, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be an aggressive tank. I have a snowflake eel and love it. Very active, just make sure you have a top.

As for your second idea, cut out the tang and you can make yourself a future reef build in a 55 gal.

I thought tangs were reef safe? and the coral beauty would probably not be. It's a 75 gallon btw.

I'm just not sure about the "aggressive" list because some of the fish I really like that are larger are Powder Blue tangs, Many of the triggers, etc. I know I'm extremely limited in a 75. I also kind of like the idea of having shrimp and crabs around. Lions have always caught my attention though. Ugh lol.

Tangs are safe, but in terms of a 75 most are too big for it, since a standard 75 is a wider version of a 55. Though I might be wrong.

Yeah most are. I've read pretty unaminously that Kole tangs and bristletooth tangs are very happy and acceptable in a 75. Liveaquaria says 70 and they tend to be pretty reliable.

I think we're going to go with the first list though.

Yeah most are. I've read pretty unaminously that Kole tangs and bristletooth tangs are very happy and acceptable in a 75. Liveaquaria says 70 and they tend to be pretty reliable.

I think we're going to go with the first list though.

I have many different tangs in my 300 gallon reef and they are many years old. I guess I am one of the tang police as I sure have answered a lot of posts about why tangs fight or catch ich and die. I have a Kole tang and he is as active a swimmer as the yellows, sail fins and hippo's are. I love them, but really feel that minimum tank sizing isn't always the best deal for the fish. When tangs stress, they become breeding grounds for other parasites. Your coral beauty (have a 12 year old one) is a okay choice, even in a reef. Fish only is no problems at all for any of the dwarf angels for your tank size. The lion fish is a VERY cool fish, but will eat anything up to 1/4 of his size, or better. JIMO

I have many different tangs in my 300 gallon reef and they are many years old. I guess I am one of the tang police as I sure have answered a lot of posts about why tangs fight or catch ich and die. I have a Kole tang and he is as active a swimmer as the yellows, sail fins and hippo's are. I love them, but really feel that minimum tank sizing isn't always the best deal for the fish. When tangs stress, they become breeding grounds for other parasites. Your coral beauty (have a 12 year old one) is a okay choice, even in a reef. Fish only is no problems at all for any of the dwarf angels for your tank size. The lion fish is a VERY cool fish, but will eat anything up to 1/4 of his size, or better. JIMO

I understand about the size for the Kole tang. I'll be cautious and see how things go. There won't be many active swimmers. I'm also minimizing the rock work for ample swim space. I will quarantine, and I hear the Koles are much less prone to ich. I'll check for any signs of stress once in the main tank. The Russell's lion shouldn't get larger than about 10 inches, so I'm hoping he'll be okay with the flame angel.

I got 6 pounds of man made purple live rock with no hitchhikers but lots of coraline algae. I also added some live sand. My base rock has not arrived yet. Am I still good to add a shrimp and begin my cycle?

ATM there is only 20 pounds of live sand and 6 pounds of live rock. I added the shrimp over 24 hours ago. I know this isn't a long time, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question. How long will the shrimp have to decay before it starts creating ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom