Psycho's 75 fowlr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. This is my first saltwater build, but as you can see I've been a member interested in saltwater for over a year. It's not going to be a super fast build because I want to go slowly and act carefuly.

Sump

16i8e1c.jpg

First coat of paint

24q8or5.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality. I'll use a better camera once things start getting good.

I'm going to add two more coats tomorrow and get the stand on friday!

:fish2:

What size sump is that? Did you build it or buy it? Pretty nice!

I bought it. I believe it's 20 gallons. Not very big, I know, but I wanted to go premade and it will work for what I need it for. Just bought the sump and a premade plumbing kit. Even that took me several hours to figure everything out haha.

Okay so I got a fully submersible heater. My sump is only twenty gallons. The heater is basically as tall as the sump. How deep does the heater need to be sumbmerged to function properly?

I believe a fully submersible heater just needs to be fully submerged! And I don't think it needs to be in any special configuration, here's how mine looks, its all the way on the right side.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121124_073033.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121124_073033.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 171
mikestanked said:
I believe a fully submersible heater just needs to be fully submerged! And I don't think it needs to be in any special configuration, here's how mine looks, its all the way on the right side.

My concern is that my sump isn't very big. I'd prefer to put the heater in the sump, but fear the water may be too shallow. I wasn't sure if it had to be completely submerged

Funny you mention this. I relocated my heater to my sump about 4 months ago. I got tired of looking at it in my display.

Let me rephrase this; my heater was too big for my sump so I bought two smaller heaters that would fit.

@mikestanked- What kind of lighting do you have? That's beautiful. Can you be specific with the kind of bulbs too. I really like your tank.

thanks, don't laugh but my lighting fixture is just a simple marineland double bright LED, non-reef. its really for freshwater but i got a killer deal and i wasn't to keen on lighting fixtures at the time. but i guess it does the job(y)

and that picture was taken during the day, but now that i'm looking at it it looks pretty cool! even though my tank is only 8 months old i like to keep my water and my tank clean.

Cool! Thanks for the reply. Doesn't matter to me what brand, it looks great. Colors really pop there.

Sorry to get the thread off topic.

Mr. Crabs said:
Funny you mention this. I relocated my heater to my sump about 4 months ago. I got tired of looking at it in my display.

Let me rephrase this; my heater was too big for my sump so I bought two smaller heaters that would fit.

@mikestanked- What kind of lighting do you have? That's beautiful. Can you be specific with the kind of bulbs too. I really like your tank.

Hmmm what size are your heaters?

I built my sump (20 long) my heater is also to long, it is in there diagonal and works great. Just put it in a chamber that you know will cover the heater completely with water. I just added fish to my 75 gallon.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121124_210057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121124_210057.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 146
  • ForumRunner_20121124_210112.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121124_210112.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 118
Here is my sump. 20 long from petco, they had the $1 a gallon sale. $15 in 1/4 inch plexiglass and $10 in sealant.

ForumRunner_20121125_083909.jpg

Trueerfan said:
Here is my sump. 20 long from petco, they had the $1 a gallon sale. $15 in 1/4 inch plexiglass and $10 in sealant.

Looks great!! Good job!

Back
Top Bottom