Psycho's 75 fowlr build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about last post phone was slow loading.

About the shrimp, I left mine in for a full week, no ammonia at all. I decided to do Dr Tims One and Only. Cycled in 8 days! Well worth it!

Tested water. Ammonia at .5ppm
PH is at 8.1

Hopefully ammonia will continue to rise. Still minimal sand and LR in the tank. Still awaiting my base rock.

Now this is the part that will test your patience. Take you time it will save you work, money and heartache in the long run.

Now this is the part that will test your patience. Take you time it will save you work, money and heartache in the long run.

Yeah. It's likely I'll have to order some fish online that are less common in stores. It'd be nice to get some right before christmas (although I know that's pretty unlikely).

Anyone have experience ordering fish in cold months like January/February. I live in MD.

They will come with heat packs. Not quite sure if you'll be cycled. Go slow with adding fish couple at a time spaced out.

Okay Quarantine question.

If I quarantine my fish, doesn't that mean I'd have to basically wait six weeks between getting fish? Everyone always says "Wait 1-2 weeks between fish." but what about QTing?

For a QT tank is just a little live rock and one powerhead sufficient?

If your getting fish that need bigger bodies of water to live then I would suggest a bigger tank for the QT.

Actually, you can get some live rock, just make sure to never put the live rock that's in your QT in your display tank.

For my tank I used a dead shrimp that I bought at a seafood store to cycle. I left the shrimp in for a couple of days. Also you should add bottled bacteria. Seem to have worked for me :D

Thanks. I'll look into a 20 gallon, and get a HOB filter and just run it with a shrimp in the QT.

Also, don't forget a heater! Wouldn't want your fish to freeze !

mcd63l.jpg

Updated picture. Beginning of cycle.

Still awaiting my base rock, as it was shipped three days later than I was told. Will add the rest of the sand after base rock is in.

Testing:
Ammonia: .75 ppm
Nitrite: .4 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I'm seeing nitrites but my ammonia hasn't past .75. The shrimp has been in there for about 5-6 days. Will my ammonia continue to rise even though nitrites are present? Or is the established LR helping to keep ammonia from spiking?

not a great photo. all of my rock and sand are in. Set up to provide a few hiding places, mid level for fish and low for the eel. Also provides ample swimming space for the lionfish.

2ibkhp3.jpg

I would take the shrimp out now. You should have enough ammonia for the bacteria to feed off of. I only put the shrimp in for 2 days... I used live rock and live sand, what are you using?

Also, be ready for that shrimp to smell extremely horrible!

I only had six pounds lr and 20 pounds live sand. The rest is base rock and bagged saltwater aquarium sand.

Back
Top Bottom