Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine hasnt been too bad I have 5 turbo's, 12 nassarius(well 11 now), 5 hermits and 5 sand conch's.. So far he has only eaten the one nassarius snail.. He has tasted a couple hermits but only bites onto the shell then spits them out...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Puffers sound pretty cool. I'm just starting out with a SW tank (75 gallon). If I put a puffer in there, what are some fish that they will get along with?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's not a lot they won't get along with, it depends on what kind u get, as long as the the other fish are less aggressive.

I have a stars and stripes puffer with a coral beauty, 6 line wrasse 2 bangaii cardinals and a yellow watchman everyone gets along fine but my puffer is definitely in charge.

now corals and other inverts thats another story. My blue legged hermits escape being harrassed and so do my turbo snails but I'm too afraid to try shrimp or anemones/corals.

For a 75 gal tank ur gonna want to get one of the smaller puffers. Something that only get about 4 inches. A lot of the larger puffers, such as porcupine puffers, can get a foot or more and really require a 100gal tank or up.

Liveaquaria.com is pretty good at giving ideas on sizes and requirements. Also check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/...rPedia/Marine/. It will give u pretty much all the info u could ask for.

Also if u see a puffer in your lfs double the what Kind it is before u get it bc a lot of them are mislabeled. That's what happened with me. My stars and stripes really needs a 180 gal tank when he's full grown. So I'm gonna have to take him back.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That's really helpful. Thanks a lot
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I keep mine with a snowflake eel a sailfin tang a mata tang a blue damsel and a twin spot wrasse. Nothing that really can fit in his mouth because they will find their food of not fed. Very happy always begging for food
Old 05-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_W
That's really helpful. Thanks a lot
No problem. Hope u find a good puffer. I love mine, awesome personality and just a lot of fun to have. I would love to be able keep mine but i dont have a big enough tank, I just got to find one cheap lol.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some facts from my personal expeirence with a porqupine puffer.
They have great personalities. They do grow large and are CONSTANTLY hungry. They will create a massive bioload when older. Along with sharks and eels, puffer fish have very tuff rubber-like skin. Therefore, they WILL hold parasites such as ich. Once ich is latched on it will not effect the puffer much but at the same time feed and remain in your tank which can be a pain.
Mine eats pretty much anything and has grown significantly. I would say he has grown FAT and about 3 inches in 8 months.
Mine has survived through my tank wipeout and has lived through the worst ich.
Fairly easy to keep but a tank 120g and over for adults with a skimmer and a good filter. Water changes should be maintained due to them constantly feeding and pooping so to say.

Tags
puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com