Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimmyVoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have had a porqupine puffer since about september and he is about 5 inches. I have read that I need to feed him shell foods such as mussels and clams etc. Is this true? If so, at what point should I start and how do I get him to eat them?

Definitely feed him something with a shell, it will help to keep his teeth worn down. Their teeth grow constantly and if they are not kept under control, they can grow too big and your puffer wont be able to feed and then ull have to clip them urself with nail clippers.

I feed my puffer clams on a half shell, one clam once or twice a week and they do a great job of keeping his teeth in check. I would start right away with the clams or mussels.

As far as getting them to eat it. I defrost mine in a cup of tank water and then put in my tank and my puffer makes a beeline for it. But then again my puffer eats anything i put in my tank, including my fingers. lol

So does mine! But the only thing is he doesn't touch it at first so the eel gets it

Ur eel gets the clams first? Try putting it somewhere the eel can't get to or holding it in ur fingers until the puffer gets interested in it and figures out what it is. That's what I did when I first started feeding clams.

Sounds good. Also another puffer question. Does your puffer go up and down the glass constantly?

Yeah he does. Especially when I'm on the couch watching tv he'll swim up and down the side of the tank that is closest to the couch almost like he's watching me.

Mine does it on the side where we enter the room so maybe he does it waiting for someone to give him food

I have a porc puffer also and he swims up and down the glass too.. I have 5 turbo snails in the tank and he even tries going up to them and biting them..

Yes mine eats more than me! Haha and yes they are known for attacking snails and crabs and shrimp as well

Mine hasnt been too bad I have 5 turbo's, 12 nassarius(well 11 now), 5 hermits and 5 sand conch's.. So far he has only eaten the one nassarius snail.. He has tasted a couple hermits but only bites onto the shell then spits them out...

Puffers sound pretty cool. I'm just starting out with a SW tank (75 gallon). If I put a puffer in there, what are some fish that they will get along with?

There's not a lot they won't get along with, it depends on what kind u get, as long as the the other fish are less aggressive.

I have a stars and stripes puffer with a coral beauty, 6 line wrasse 2 bangaii cardinals and a yellow watchman everyone gets along fine but my puffer is definitely in charge.

now corals and other inverts thats another story. My blue legged hermits escape being harrassed and so do my turbo snails but I'm too afraid to try shrimp or anemones/corals.

For a 75 gal tank ur gonna want to get one of the smaller puffers. Something that only get about 4 inches. A lot of the larger puffers, such as porcupine puffers, can get a foot or more and really require a 100gal tank or up.

Liveaquaria.com is pretty good at giving ideas on sizes and requirements. Also check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Marine/. It will give u pretty much all the info u could ask for.

Also if u see a puffer in your lfs double the what Kind it is before u get it bc a lot of them are mislabeled. That's what happened with me. My stars and stripes really needs a 180 gal tank when he's full grown. So I'm gonna have to take him back.

I keep mine with a snowflake eel a sailfin tang a mata tang a blue damsel and a twin spot wrasse. Nothing that really can fit in his mouth because they will find their food of not fed. Very happy always begging for food

Mitch_W said:
That's really helpful. Thanks a lot

No problem. Hope u find a good puffer. I love mine, awesome personality and just a lot of fun to have. I would love to be able keep mine but i dont have a big enough tank, I just got to find one cheap lol.

Some facts from my personal expeirence with a porqupine puffer.
They have great personalities. They do grow large and are CONSTANTLY hungry. They will create a massive bioload when older. Along with sharks and eels, puffer fish have very tuff rubber-like skin. Therefore, they WILL hold parasites such as ich. Once ich is latched on it will not effect the puffer much but at the same time feed and remain in your tank which can be a pain.
Mine eats pretty much anything and has grown significantly. I would say he has grown FAT and about 3 inches in 8 months.
Mine has survived through my tank wipeout and has lived through the worst ich.
Fairly easy to keep but a tank 120g and over for adults with a skimmer and a good filter. Water changes should be maintained due to them constantly feeding and pooping so to say.

Back
Top Bottom