Puffer Dentistry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I looked everywhere on Puffer Dentistry, and all I get search wise is the green spotted puffer or the big puffer fish and how to do their teeth. What I am needing is advice on my Blue Spotted Toby Puffer.

Everything I give him to eat to keep his teeth down, he does not eat. I tried algae wafers, Krill, Shrimp (full Shell), and even live hermit craps. Will not touch them. All he eats is the pellets and the mysis shrimp or brine shrimp. Won't touch the Krill (At least I don't think he does). I drop the Krill in and by morning it's gone, so I don't know.

All I know is his teeth are bigger, but I don't know when it is a concern. I don't know when to worry. All I get on research is what to feed them to keep their teeth in check. So when should I be worried?

Also I seen video's on how to clip their teeth and has wondered has anyone here had experience in this? Again all they show is the Green Spotted puffer or the Bigger guys. What they do is 3 cups of tank water with 3 drops of clove oil. They also have a recovery bowl with tank water. They put the Puffer to sleep, than they simply use nail clippers and clip the teeth down to almost nothing. They put in the recovery bowl and let the puffer wake up, and back to the tank.

When should I even consider this action? I don't think he will be hard to catch, as I know when he sleeps. I can get him when he is asleep in the corner he likes. I just am scared of messing this up BIG TIME. That is why I am asking for any help and if anyone here has had experience in clipping a blue spotted toby puffers teeth. Thanks!

Have you tried feeding raw clam? I will be getting my blue spotted puffer in the near future and I have heard that feeding raw clams in the shell is great for keeping their beak in check. Not to jinx myself but I already give my brittle green starfish clam once a week and I'm hoping that my BSP will enjoy clams with him.

When it's teeth are so big it's getting in the way of it eating, is when I would do it. I feel for you though, as I wouldn't want to do that either.
Do you have snails in the tank? They are supposed to like munching on them....

I have not tried raw clams. I can't find any where I live, my Krogers does not sale them. I can go to Jungle Jim's, but that's a drive for me. I will try that route first however, and hope to see if he likes raw clams.

My Blue Spotted Puffer and Stars and Stripes Puffer absolutely love clams, I think that would be your best bet! I don't think I would worry to much about it right now though, like was mentioned unless you see them becoming a major issue it usually takes quite a while for them to get out of control. Mine will also chomp on live rock every now and again which I believe helps as well.

Mine will also chomp on live rock every now and again which I believe helps as well.

Probably trying to take bites at the tiny critters living on your live rocks.

There is a big difference between your puffer not liking the food you present vs your puffer not knowing you are presenting food. You might have to teach your puffer to at least take a bite of the food you present. If your puffer keeps spitting out the food, then puff probably do not like it. If your puffer does not even take a bite, then puff might not know its food.

I have not tried clams yet, I will. I have put things in front of him and he ate each item. Now he won't eat them anymore. He only goes after the Mysis Shrimp or Brine Shrimp. He likes pellets as well. With the clams do I leave them in the full shell or open them a little for him? Or do they break open the shell themselves? I have looked and looked and no info on how to feed the clams to them. :p

Back
Top Bottom