Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Puffer help!

My dogface puffer was acting all normal until today. He is now a darkish black color and is still moving, but quite literally bouncing off the tank walls. If i can get anybodys's help, that would be great. Btw, he is in quarantine right now. PLEASE HELP! Parameters are normal.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want a reasonable response you need to give more information. Dark and running into the walls isn't a whole lot to go on... What size tank, how old, tankmates, etc

Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

He was in a 100 gallon with a humu humu trigger, a blue hippo tang,and a porcupine puffer. Update, he died in the quarantine last night. im pretty sure he was old. I had him in the tank for about 4 months
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

100 gallon tank is way to small for all the animals listed. All of them require a bigger tank!

4 months is not old for a fish, but you only had him in your tank for 4 months?

How old is the tank? What is your test say?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Jake, judging by your other thread you started, you need to take a minute and re-evaluate your tank. Id put together a complete stock list and go from there. Also dog face puffers get huge, sp unless he was a ft long, id say he wasnt old
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank is 6 months old. He was my 1st fish to get after my tank was cycled. Personally, i think they were fine in the tank they were in, as ive read that fish grow to the size of your tank. What im trying to find out by going to you guys is what killed my dogface puffer. Im planning to upgrade to a 180 once they get too big to be happy in their current home. The puffer was a black color, when he was normally white. Does anybody know what this means?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fish dont grow to the size of the tank, they become stunted. Stunted growth can cause amy sort of health issues. Wed love to help but without specific information and knowing the exact details of the situation.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKEPIN View Post
The tank is 6 months old. He was my 1st fish to get after my tank was cycled. Personally, i think they were fine in the tank they were in, as ive read that fish grow to the size of your tank. What im trying to find out by going to you guys is what killed my dogface puffer. Im planning to upgrade to a 180 once they get too big to be happy in their current home. The puffer was a black color, when he was normally white. Does anybody know what this means?
See thats the problem. How will YOU know when their too big to be happy? How will YOU know when they are at their max size? Your best bet is do like huma-huma said and re-evaluate your stock list because you cant put fish in a tank thats tok small for them. You have to base the purchase on adult size and if your tank can support adult size.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. Huma huma said for a detailed explanation, here it is. I got home from work two days a go when i went to do my daily tank check and feeding, he was at his usual spot next to the overflow box. When he got off to eat, he was a dark blackish color, when he is normally white. This happened before, but it only lasted for a couple of minutes. He was literally crashing into the tank walls, so i got him in a transportation box and put him in quarantine. His color started to return, but he was still crashing. I keep checking up on him, until 2:00 am when i go to let out my dog, i find him dead in the quarantine.
Parameters are normal, and nothing dropped or anything. Salinity was 1.023, ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 15, ph was 8.1. If you have any ideas on what problem this situation? Thanks for your support!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Had it been eating? What were you feeding? How are the other fish? Could the trigger have been bullying it? I've got a Singapore Angel that is bugging my Volitan Lion, which I would never have imagined being a problem. They are going into a 240g soon and I am hoping that solves that issue.

I've got to agree with the others that are saying to re-evaluate your stocking or get a larger tank. One thing that I have seen time and time again in my many years with aquariums is that certain fish need certain amounts of space. Put them in a tank that is too small and things start to go bad. The argument that they are small now does not seem to matter. It seems rational, but nature. Is not always rational. If you spend time reading about people with strange fish problems and/or diseases, it is almost always a fish that is in a "too small" tank. That can't be coincidence.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com