Puffer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffer_king77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a medium size puffer who is not aggressive what other fish would be compatible wit him ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425229673.525705.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's when I first got it

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425253450.012927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425253450.012927.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 136
55 gallons

I wouldn't add anything else as that puffers gonna get huge. They're quite messy as well. I hope you have a plan for him in a year or so

2 puffers will not fit in that tank once there full grown as they grow to almost 24 inches in other words 2 feet 55g is way too small that's a sardine can

I'd say you are fully stocked with that puffer, they get big fast and are messy! Liveaquaria recommends 180g for those guys - as mentioned above I hope you have a future home for it when it grows...

If you really really really want another fish, then add a dwarf puffer. Then if your porcup puffer grow bigger, u can transfer it into a bigger size tank.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Snowflake eel would be cool. The concern with a small tank is that the puffer is a gluttonous eater. I don't think they need a lot of room to swim, but they like to eat, which can cause water quality issues if you are not on top of LARGE water changes in this small body of water. Not saying it can't be done long term, it's just that porkies love shellfish and meaty delights that will cause a spike in your ammonia.

Think of it like this. It's like being in a small room with a lot of smokers. You have him in a port-a-potty and every time you feed, you add another smoker. He can't open a window either....

you could put pretty much any fish that is big enough to not be considered food with a puffer, they are pretty mellow fellows.
But in a tank your size which is further hindered because of it's shape, you should stick with fish that max out at about 4"-5" if you want more variety.

Having said that, the only things that I feel would be decent tank mates in that size, but with the caveat that you will eventually need to rehouse them, is a lionfish and an eel.
They are all able to eat the same diet and on the same schedule and all are rather docile and not active swimmers so the limited area of the tank isn't as big of a consideration.

All this talk of what messy eaters they are is irrelevant, all fish are messy eaters, it's just a matter of how big the chunks they spit out are.

The way to manage water quality with big carnivores such as those mentioned is simple, only feed them once a week, problem solved.
Actually if you do it all in one day even better.
Feed them a big meal, wait about 2-4 hours and then do your water change.
Those guys do just fine with the occasional big meal as that is often how they feed in the wild.

Dwarf lion fish is better

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom