Puffer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased a baby (1.5 inch) dogface puffer last week from my LFS. I had a larger 7 inch one in my last tank. My question is, I noticed last night he has a lot of gold around his mouth and fins. I was wondering if maybe I got a Golden Arthron? When do they start gaining the gold coloration? I have never seen anything but a very large Golden, so I wonder if they gain that color as they grow? Doesn't matter, it just makes him an even prettier fish with the golden spots.

Are you talking about an Arothron Dog Face Puffer (Arthron nigropunctatus)? Golden puffers are gold all the way around except for their mouths and bellies. That would be sweet if you got one for the price of a dog faced one!!
BTW, do you have a pic? Puffers are one of my favorite fish.

I will get a pic soon, I promise. He is a very cute little bugger. I have never seen one with the gold around his mouth and fins. The more I look, I don't think he is a Golden unless he changes to gold in adulthood. I think he is a normal dogface with some golden spots. I think I saw one like that on LIVEAQUARIA.COM's WYSIWYG section. Will be interesting to see him grow and develop!

Aren't they all cute little buggers? Go VOLS! LOL!

Dog Faced Puffers get spots and change coloration throughout their life. You will see changes in black, white, brown, and even gold in patches around their face and body. Even throughout the day you may see them change between a near white to a dark brown color.

Back
Top Bottom