Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

just trying to tell him something about the fish cause he didn't want to sacrifice and of the inverts he has. He could also get a mimic filefish which look the same and are reef safe

Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok there still is a chance of anything will puffers I agree with that . My puffer may eat a hermit or two per week but he is a a bigger puffer than a valentini . If the op can't live with any of them getting eaten then a puffer of any sort is not a good idea in this case . But if you don't mind replacing them it's a good meal for them to keep their beaks worn.

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
Ok there still is a chance of anything will puffers I agree with that . My puffer may eat a hermit or two per week but he is a a bigger puffer than a valentini . If the op can't live with any of them getting eaten then a puffer of any sort is not a good idea in this case . But if you don't mind replacing them it's a good meal for them to keep their beaks worn.
I agree ,,
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunkdent View Post
They sound like such a pain! I would like one but I am working really hard on my tank so maybe I will just look at them whenever I go to the lfs...
I've heard some people never have a problem with them eating their inverts or LR but so far with this project I haven't been lucky...

I just like the way they swim..
Some Valentinis are very mellow, but a puffer is a puffer. Do not bet on long-term success of a Valentini being peaceful in a tank full of other fish and/or invert. This species are known to nip hermits to death even if they can't get through a hermit's shell.

Watch them at the LFS like I do. Cool fish indeed.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Valentini and I didn't see him for the first two weeks. He was so shy at feeding time I thought I was going to lose him. Now he's out all the time. Great fish. I have him in a 180g with a blue spotted Toby and an dogface. They are great fish and I have had no problems with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problems for now. Over the course of 10 or yrs.. it may very likely end up in tears (very cliche here). You do have a lot of tank space though. Its better that way.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

LOL I don't mind him eating a few hermits here and there, I just didnt know how much of a feeding frenzy it would attempt to have.

What would you say is the min. tank size? I have seen some conflicting info. and I really only trust it from people I know have experience...some lfs will tell you anything u want to hear..
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunkdent
LOL I don't mind him eating a few hermits here and there, I just didnt know how much of a feeding frenzy it would attempt to have.

What would you say is the min. tank size? I have seen some conflicting info. and I really only trust it from people I know have experience...some lfs will tell you anything u want to hear..
I've found that the information at liveaquaria.com to be fairly accurate.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster View Post
I've found that the information at liveaquaria.com to be fairly accurate.
Well thats about right then, when I can get a fish again he will be one of my top choices

Tags
puffer, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com