Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunkdent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody have currently or has had a valentini puffer? I love them, and I want one but I can't really gather how difficult they are to take care of. One thing I read is the opposite of what I read before it seems like. Any opinions??

this puffer is moderate as far as care. if you have any invert or corals it will eat them so be careful what you have in there with it.

As of right now just some hermit crabs and some pretty big snails...not that I want to scarifice any other critters..but he's just so cool to watch!

well they are very good at cracking shells so the crabs and snail will probable be on his dinner list. They'll also chomp on live rock

They sound like such a pain! I would like one but I am working really hard on my tank so maybe I will just look at them whenever I go to the lfs...
I've heard some people never have a problem with them eating their inverts or LR but so far with this project I haven't been lucky...

I just like the way they swim..

The problem is the unpredictability you don't know if they will or won't so better safe then sorry

Puffers are worth it to do whatever whenever to your tank just to give them the right setup IMO . The best fish ever. Just feed hard shelled foods for their beaks. The puffer your interested in isn't a big or very aggressive puffer since it's a toby . The tendency will be a lot less for a Toby type of puffer to try to chew on rock even though It may try to like the others have said. I have a porcupine puffer and he has never just tried to do that . Inverts are a whole other story. My puffer will eat them all except turbo snails because they are too big for now. I cant say because i never had a Toby myself but i really don't think they would be able to crush a hermits shell . A member named Terrance will probably chime in he is a puffer guy like me.

Ok so all that says is that they can crush hermits . I did say that I do not think they can crush a average size hermit but i don't know for sure because I never had that particular puffer .

just trying to tell him something about the fish cause he didn't want to sacrifice and of the inverts he has. He could also get a mimic filefish which look the same and are reef safe

Ok there still is a chance of anything will puffers I agree with that . My puffer may eat a hermit or two per week but he is a a bigger puffer than a valentini . If the op can't live with any of them getting eaten then a puffer of any sort is not a good idea in this case . But if you don't mind replacing them it's a good meal for them to keep their beaks worn.

Ok there still is a chance of anything will puffers I agree with that . My puffer may eat a hermit or two per week but he is a a bigger puffer than a valentini . If the op can't live with any of them getting eaten then a puffer of any sort is not a good idea in this case . But if you don't mind replacing them it's a good meal for them to keep their beaks worn.
I agree ,,(y)

They sound like such a pain! I would like one but I am working really hard on my tank so maybe I will just look at them whenever I go to the lfs...
I've heard some people never have a problem with them eating their inverts or LR but so far with this project I haven't been lucky...

I just like the way they swim..

Some Valentinis are very mellow, but a puffer is a puffer. Do not bet on long-term success of a Valentini being peaceful in a tank full of other fish and/or invert. This species are known to nip hermits to death even if they can't get through a hermit's shell.

Watch them at the LFS like I do. Cool fish indeed.

I have a Valentini and I didn't see him for the first two weeks. He was so shy at feeding time I thought I was going to lose him. Now he's out all the time. Great fish. I have him in a 180g with a blue spotted Toby and an dogface. They are great fish and I have had no problems with it.

No problems for now. Over the course of 10 or yrs.. it may very likely end up in tears (very cliche here). You do have a lot of tank space though. Its better that way.

LOL I don't mind him eating a few hermits here and there, I just didnt know how much of a feeding frenzy it would attempt to have.

What would you say is the min. tank size? I have seen some conflicting info. and I really only trust it from people I know have experience...some lfs will tell you anything u want to hear..

brunkdent said:
LOL I don't mind him eating a few hermits here and there, I just didnt know how much of a feeding frenzy it would attempt to have.

What would you say is the min. tank size? I have seen some conflicting info. and I really only trust it from people I know have experience...some lfs will tell you anything u want to hear..

I've found that the information at liveaquaria.com to be fairly accurate.

Back
Top Bottom