Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Purchasing used setup

Hello All, I have decided to plunge into to marine aquarium hobby. I have been reading some books at a slow pace the past couple of months. I have decided to start with a medium size tank and I just found a used setup that is on sale on craigslist. I went yesterday to look at it and the tank is in good condition but has lots of pink calcium all over it, the guy said he has just been lazy to scrape it off. I plan on stripping it and starting fresh with the parts that it comes with. Just need an opinion about going this route. He is selling for $350 and it is a 46 gallon bowfront glass and comes with stand and filter, heater, power head, lights with timer and extra accessories. Would the current calcium affect with what I plan to do in stripping it and making a FOWLR tank? Any ideas would help since I am considered a newb, Thanks all!

jandc805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's coralline algae. it's not going to hurt anything, but what heater? what power head? what lights?

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know what type of equipment it was but the guy has been running it for a few years with no problems so I'm guessing it has to be some decent type of equipment. Thanks for the info X.
jandc805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com