Purigen for saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been using Purigen for my 2 freshwater tanks instead of carbon. My water stays crystal clear( with weekly PWC). I am planning on setting up a 25 gal FOWLR tank next month. I have read that people use a hob filter for carbon filtration. Can I just use Purigen instead? Would be better, worse, or will it not matter? Does anyone use it for their tank? I would assume that I would let the tank cycle before using Purigen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Jim

Purigen and carbon are completely different and achieve different objectives. Purigen is a nitrogen scrubber so to speak, it reduces the organics in the water and aids in improving the water quality. Carbon works a little along those lines but not as efficiently or long term. Carbon on the otherhand removes a great many things both good and bad but more important, the bad. There are a host of things that are in the aquarium that you cannot see or test for that carbon will remove and improve the quality of life for your inhabitants. This is especially importanty in reef tanks where it removes coral toxins, improves light quality/penetration and other toxins.

If nitrogens are a concern, work on improving the export of the system as well as examining stock levels/feeding routines and overall set up. Carbon IME, is good to use no matter the tank and employed 24/7.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advice. I have plenty of carbon and purigen on hand. I just wanted to see which one would be better to use in FOWLR tank.

Back
Top Bottom