Purple Dottieback Tyrant?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

americanbambam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just introduced a purple Dottieback into my DT and my black chromis is losing his mind. Is there anything I can do? The new fish seems to be quite the tyrant. He certainly was in my QT.

Will the chromis get over it or what??

Regards.

The chromis will get over it when the dottyback has harassed it to death. I had a bicolor dottyback in my tank for 3 days. And that was 3 days too long.

People say damsels are jerks, but I don't think anything can create the terror that a dottyback does.

Can anyone else offer their experience with dottiebacks? I would have to pull out tons of rock to get this fish out of my tank. I can't believe no one at the LFS said anything to me. This is extremely disappointing.

Are dottiebacks tyrants that can't live in a community tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an orchid dottyback and it doesn't bother my clowns. The only thing that it attacks is hermit crabs that get too close to it's home.

I added a bi-colour dottyback to my tank and I wished I never did. It turned out to be a very expensive fish...

It harassed, chased, nipped and ripped at the other tank mates until all but my clowns were all dead. I wasn't able to get any of the tankmates out or able to separate them, I tried so hard in vein. Even when they were getting too tired to swim, and were missing half a tail, I still wasn't able to catch any of the tank mates. I even tried breaking down my tank to catch him.

My Dottyback killed:
1x Lemonpeel Angel
2x Kaudern's Kardinal
2x Chromis
1x Cleaner Wrasse
2x Coral Banded Shrimp

This is just my experice, and in this game, some weird and funky things can happen!

Back
Top Bottom