Purple Stuff, What is this and how do I treat it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishShack

Aquarium Advice Activist
Purple Stuff, What is this and how do I treat it?

Attachments

• 20140202_135501.jpg
    20140202_135501.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
That is corrallin algae and actually good algae to have a lot of people try to promote it in there tanks

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like cyano to me. If you put a siphon on it and it comes right out its cyano. Excess nutrients is usually the cause. What size is the tank and his long has it been running, what's your water params, tank maint. and feeding schedule like?

Guy at fls said to use chemiclean and turn off my lights to kill it? Is this correct?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can go that route, but you'd still want to find the source that's causing it and correct it otherwise it's bound to come back IMO

Sorry for the false info just got into marine and my guess would be more water changes

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like cyano to me. If you put a siphon on it and it comes right out its cyano. Excess nutrients is usually the cause. What size is the tank and his long has it been running, what's your water params, tank maint. and feeding schedule like?

These questions answered would help us give you a solution to the problem, turning the lights off and using additives are just a band aid.

Using RO water, ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ppm, ph 8.2 , temp 76, 3 small damsels, 2 small clowns, 1 banded shrimp, 5 hermit crabs, feed 1/2 a cube of brine shrimp in the evening once a day, do 25% water change either once a week to week and 1/2. Equipment is in signature and protein skimmer remora-s. Live rock and base rock in tank.

Been running since before Thanksgiving, and yes I can siphon up

Using RO water, ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ppm, ph 8.2 , temp 76, 3 small damsels, 2 small clowns, 1 banded shrimp, 5 hermit crabs, feed 1/2 a cube of brine shrimp in the evening once a day, do 25% water change either once a week to week and 1/2. Equipment is in signature and protein skimmer remora-s. Live rock and base rock in tank.

Try reducing the feeding from daily to once every 2 days. That'll help reduce the excess nutrients in your water column. I do a little over 30% PWC every Sat. On my 55. Probably don't have to do that much but it makes me feel better and I get my water for free. What's your lighting schedule like?

Lighting schedule looks good. So reducing your feedings and maybe black out the tank for a day or two and siphon out what you can when you do your PWC and that should help in starting to get rid of the cyano IMO. It's not going to happen overnight so just stay patient and keep at it.

Some may disagree, but I have had cyano at the beginning of every tank i have started and each time I have used chemiclean. It gets rid of it within two days and in my case, it never comes back.
But the above posters are correct in saying that it would only be a bandaid, you still have to figure out what caused it and remedy the situation or it will come back.

I had a cyano build up not too long ago and I took the forums advice on cutting back feedings (no chems) and reduce lighting (6hrs) it's way better now (1 mo later)
Also during PwC I would use the power head to wash off the dead or dying debris hth

Back
Top Bottom