Purple Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiGeR1986

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been thinking about purchasing a product called "Purple Up" Its suppose to be really good for activating the coraline algae on live rock i think. I just wanted to get some reviews if anyone here has used it before or not?

Never used it. You should not have to use it if you make sure calcium and alk levels are OK and seed some coralline into your tank. JMO

Don't waste your money. Keep your alk (8-9 dKH), calcium (380-420) and mag (1300-1350) levels in line and as long as there is some in the tank to start with, it will spread on it's own.

im currently using purple up, when i first introduced live rock to my tank it had coroline algae on it already , this was after i had placed a white bleached 13 lb. limestone rock in my tank, i started to get diatoms on my white rock so i got some snails after my cycle to clean up the mess, after my cycle i placed some live rock in w/ the coroline which eventually started to turn black , some coroline bleached out and has still not returned to its normal color, however, i didnt want to loose my coroline and after some research i decided to use purple up, i have a 20 gallon tank and i injected 2ml of the stuff twice a week, and a third time during a water change. w/out scraping the coroline, my white rock started to blush is some places and i have a few maroon colored freckles on my limestone, my original coroline seems to be turning the same color and not as black anymore.

id say that purple up does help.

What your rock did sounds normal when starting a new tank. While there's no way to say one way or another, I'd hazard a guess that you'd be seeing the same results if you had not added the purple up. It just takes the coralline a while to get a foot hold.

Either way, glad you're getting the results you were looking for. And welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Back
Top Bottom