Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Putting in a conditoner for instant fish?

I went to a fishstore and was looking at stuff for a saltwater tank, i seen this conditoner that says u can add fish immediatly, so i was wondering if i can put that in my tank that has been cycling for two weeks and then put in fish? If they have that why do i have to cycle then?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What was the conditioner? There are bacteria in a bottle products but they have mixed reviews. Some say they work great and others claim it didn't work at all for them.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a fan of Dr Tims. It seems more scientifically based than some of the others. I used it for my 75g a few months ago. Cycled in less than a week, no big spikes, fish have been fine ever since. It's not at most LFS, but can be ordered online. Lots of info on their site. I've heard mixed reviews on other products.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I forgot the name they had a few, one had 3 bottles in one, but since ive been cycling it for two weeks now can i put one of them in then put fish? Should i put it in and check levels and if good put in fish? Thanks guys for your advice
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No it's only speeds up the cycle. It's not instant. It pretty much seeds the bacteria, it doesn't put enough in to do enough conversions. Just wait it out. You have another 2 weeks max probably. Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
No it's only speeds up the cycle. It's not instant. It pretty much seeds the bacteria, it doesn't put enough in to do enough conversions. Just wait it out. You have another 2 weeks max probably. Better safe than sorry.
Yeah i hear ya, patience is the key i guess lol im just real anxious but at the same time i dont wanna mess things up and kill any fish, but wht about adding snails now? Or should i wait for the cycle to be over?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

They'll die also. You have no food for them and inverts are more sensitive to params then fish.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, no snails yet.

I'm not sure about all bottled bacteria products, but the Dr Tim's does a quick cycle and you do not get the drastic spike, so adding a fish is okay. Kind of expensive though. Lots of interesting info on their site and other testimonials out there.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys for your advice ill just wait it out
Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Waiting it out is the best way to go. But I can tell you, fritz-zyme works. I stupidly added too many fish to my established community one day, threw my tank into a mini-cycle. I freaked out. A trusted person at a good LFS told me to use this stuff. He said it would take a couple of days, but I took readings the next day and they were perfect! Tank has been great since. I highly recommend......but it is hard to find because it needs to be refrigerated. Supposedly this stuff is used by commercial aquariums. Look it up, go to their website. You can punch in your zip and they will tell you where it is sold. Don't buy online! Shipping is ridiculous......if it's not, you will get a compromised product.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com