Putting in a conditoner for instant fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antonio718

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to a fishstore and was looking at stuff for a saltwater tank, i seen this conditoner that says u can add fish immediatly, so i was wondering if i can put that in my tank that has been cycling for two weeks and then put in fish? If they have that why do i have to cycle then?

What was the conditioner? There are bacteria in a bottle products but they have mixed reviews. Some say they work great and others claim it didn't work at all for them.

I am a fan of Dr Tims. It seems more scientifically based than some of the others. I used it for my 75g a few months ago. Cycled in less than a week, no big spikes, fish have been fine ever since. It's not at most LFS, but can be ordered online. Lots of info on their site. I've heard mixed reviews on other products.

I forgot the name they had a few, one had 3 bottles in one, but since ive been cycling it for two weeks now can i put one of them in then put fish? Should i put it in and check levels and if good put in fish? Thanks guys for your advice

No it's only speeds up the cycle. It's not instant. It pretty much seeds the bacteria, it doesn't put enough in to do enough conversions. Just wait it out. You have another 2 weeks max probably. Better safe than sorry.

crister13 said:
No it's only speeds up the cycle. It's not instant. It pretty much seeds the bacteria, it doesn't put enough in to do enough conversions. Just wait it out. You have another 2 weeks max probably. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah i hear ya, patience is the key i guess lol im just real anxious but at the same time i dont wanna mess things up and kill any fish, but wht about adding snails now? Or should i wait for the cycle to be over?

I agree, no snails yet. :)

I'm not sure about all bottled bacteria products, but the Dr Tim's does a quick cycle and you do not get the drastic spike, so adding a fish is okay. Kind of expensive though. Lots of interesting info on their site and other testimonials out there.

Waiting it out is the best way to go. But I can tell you, fritz-zyme works. I stupidly added too many fish to my established community one day, threw my tank into a mini-cycle. I freaked out. A trusted person at a good LFS told me to use this stuff. He said it would take a couple of days, but I took readings the next day and they were perfect! Tank has been great since. I highly recommend......but it is hard to find because it needs to be refrigerated. Supposedly this stuff is used by commercial aquariums. Look it up, go to their website. You can punch in your zip and they will tell you where it is sold. Don't buy online! Shipping is ridiculous......if it's not, you will get a compromised product.

If you are in a real hurry then you could add more fully cured live rock that has been in other tanks. It should be cycled already. Just keep it in water and get it from their tank to yours quickly. The cycle on my 75 was just a mini cycle of about a day. Small spike and it was good.

Yeah when i first started my tank i put a few already cured live rock from the fish store and baught 30lbs of live sand, and im actually going to get some more live rock today, im not in a hurry just anxious lol, heres what it looks like so far

image-3033626058.jpg

looks like a nice tank enjoy

I went to a fishstore and was looking at stuff for a saltwater tank, i seen this conditoner that says u can add fish immediatly, so i was wondering if i can put that in my tank that has been cycling for two weeks and then put in fish? If they have that why do i have to cycle then?

This isn't the show TANKED:facepalm:
(what they don't tell you is 80% of the fish they add are dead in a day or so )

Before you do anything
what are your water parameters
nitrite
nitrate
ammonia
ph
salinity
lighting and any other equipment you may have
your 2 weeks in so you should seeing some changes
did you add a ammonia source to help speed your cycle
like a deli shrimp ,
I would avoid adding any kind of additives in those bottles , your almost there why push it and ruin a good thing and learning experience , chemicals do more harm than good IMO
take your time dont rush , nows the time to decide if you are wanting a FOWLR (fish only with live rock)
or a reef tank with coral, research your fish for compatibility / size / and if there reef safe or not , start with a small cheap fish or 2 after your done cycling than let bio load build so you can have a healthy tank you can enjoy for years to come
and add to it slowly over time , dont over do it!! rushing will only cause big problems down the line
once you tell us a little more about your tank and parameters
everyone here will be able to help you have a successful tank you can be proud of(y)
We all pride our tanks and our learning experiences and will be glad to help you as well

Welcome to AA (y)

54seaweed said:
looks like a nice tank enjoy

This isn't the show TANKED:facepalm:
(what they don't tell you is 80% of the fish they add are dead in a day or so )

Before you do anything
what are your water parameters
nitrite
nitrate
ammonia
ph
salinity
lighting and any other equipment you may have
your 2 weeks in so you should seeing some changes
did you add a ammonia source to help speed your cycle
like a deli shrimp ,
I would avoid adding any kind of additives in those bottles , your almost there why push it and ruin a good thing and learning experience , chemicals do more harm than good IMO
take your time dont rush , nows the time to decide if you are wanting a FOWLR (fish only with live rock)
or a reef tank with coral, research your fish for compatibility / size / and if there reef safe or not , start with a small cheap fish or 2 after your done cycling than let bio load build so you can have a healthy tank you can enjoy for years to come
and add to it slowly over time , dont over do it!! rushing will only cause big problems down the line
once you tell us a little more about your tank and parameters
everyone here will be able to help you have a successful tank you can be proud of(y)
We all pride our tanks and our learning experiences and will be glad to help you as well

Welcome to AA (y)

Ph-7.8-8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-5.0
Salinity-1.019
Im just doing a fowlr tank, i have 30lbs of live sand and about 20lbs maybe a lil more of live rock so far, i have a acuaclear50 hang on back filter, a heater, and a maxijet400 powerhead, my tank is 30 gallons regular, so far ive done two water changes, and this wednesday will be week 3 in my cycle

Im gonna do another water change probally sometime this week, but i kno if i just add some fresh water my salinity is going to drop so what should i do? When i started the tank i used already mixed saltwater, should i buy a jug of that to put in instead of freahwater or will that make my salinity high again? Or should i do half saltwater and half fresh,

For a water change you should use salt water. when you add water to make up for evaperation use RODI or distilled water. It sounds like you added too much fresh water at some point and may need to add more salt water.

My salt level is at 1.019 right now, so how much of a water change should i do and how much should i take out and put in?

When i did my first water change i took out 5 gallons an put 5 gallons of fresh water in because my salt level was high, second time i took out 2 gallons about and put in two gallons of fresh water

Back
Top Bottom