QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what you are putting in there.. If your going to be QT'ing 3 tangs.. a trigger and other fish.. then clearly that size just won't do. If you QT fish one at a time, or the fish you have are relatively small, and have low bioloads, then yeah.. it should be fine.

I have a 10g QT. It currently has my Ocellaris clownfish.
It's in holding there until my cycle completes in my 42g. It has a low bioload and it has been cycled for a good 2 months.

The clown appears very happy in this tank, and I might decide to keep him in there. Will see how he goes.

I wouldn't put more than 2-3 inches of fish in a 10g QT as bioloads can get quite high very quickly if you aren't monitoring it closeley - IMO

Meh.. don't keep the clown in that 10G. If you have a bigger tank, put him in there. Keeping him in the 10G IMO, is unfair. He may be able to survive, but not as happily as he would in a larger tank. Their tank minimums are 20G.. so.. yeah. I said it before; A child could survive in a closet with food and water.. but how happy would he/she be.. living out their lives in a closet. Putting a clown in a 10G is like putting a naso tang in a 90G. Its big for sure.. but not big enough, so that the naso can fully grow and live a healthy life.

As for the whole 10G QT thing.. pass on the 2-3 inches per fish thing. It soley depends on what type, and how many fish are going in there. Put a full grown naso tang in a 10G QT tank.. and see how that goes. Your QT tank needs to be as relevant as your fish are. Small fish, small QT tank is fine. Large fish, with high bioloads, large QT tank with more water to dilute as best as possible the ammonia and waste they produce.

Back
Top Bottom