Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
QT for inverts.

I know the adage "QT anything wet"; but I had a question on QT inverts
I recently moved from CA to UT. I was forced to sell my livestock but I held on to my LR and LS.

I placed my LR in totes with 2-3" of SW to keep the rock wet, and I left an inch or so of SW in the tank with the LS.

Since then I have set up my tank again. I added 40 lb of new sand, and about 20lb of new Rock to my existing stock. (100 lb of rock and 1" - 1.5" LS). Additionally, I have added a sump/fuge with LR rubble and 40lb of sand for the DSB in the fuge.

Now...back to my original question:

What is the best process for QT a new cleaning crew? I am referring to crabs, shrimps, and snails?

Since I don't have any livestock, do then even need to be QT'd?

I love to read everyone's opinions; and I welcome your input!

good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I generally do not QT new inverts. I drip acclimate them for a couple of hours, then remove them from the water and place them in the tank. There is a negligible risk of introducing Ich in this way (not zero but close).

As you don't have any fish yet and it appears you are ready to QT any nes fish for 30 days, then there no chance to introduce Ich. Even if any came over with a drop of water, with out a fish to host on, the parasite will be gone in 30 days.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I typically do not quarantine inverts either. In your case, I do not think it would be a big deal.
MommaFishels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the reassurance.
good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree...I have never QT any of my inverts or coral. I do dip corals in Seachem Coral Dip prior to adding them to the main however. Get to know your LFS in the area and ask questions about how they process new arrivals. This will help in the future as well when you plan to purchase fish and/or corals.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
In addition to lando's advice, take notice of any "problems" the corals or the tank itself might be exhibiting at the lfs. For example, if the display has an infestation of flatworms or there are corals wasting away, it would be best to quarantine your purchases.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As with the others I dont QT my inverts either but as James said I would really make some keen observations.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com