Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quality Live Rock via Online?

Hello everyone. I'm just starting up a 120g as a newbie to the hobby. I'm ready to rock (no pun intended) with the first cycle but I have no idea where to purchase my live rock. There are so many choices via the internet I was hoping someone would have some advice? I would like to start with a base/live combo due to the cost and size of the tank. LFS is not an option due to my location (in the middle of nowhere).

Can't tell you how excited we are to get started with the hobby! I've wanted salt water for years and finally have the opportunity.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

My experience with ordering live rock was not a very good one, but i know a lot of people on this site that have ordered live rock from online and haven't had a single problem with it, and now, their tanks flourish and look amazing. So in an overall opinion, and view, i would say that ordering live rock online is a safe option, if you have no place to buy it from locally. Not to mention that it is usually cheaper online than at local fish stores. Aside from the shipping, of course. But the thing is, if you take into consideration that the fish store charges maybe 8-9$ per pound, but online you could get it for 3$.. then it is well worth it to pay the shipping for something that cheap. It will usually cost you less buying it online with shipping and all, then if you were to buy the same amount from your local fish store. Assuming that they sell theirs at a ridiculous price, which most of them do.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
everything zero said and remember to cure them if you order online.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
My experience with ordering live rock was not a very good one, but i know a lot of people on this site that have ordered live rock from online and haven't had a single problem with it, and now, their tanks flourish and look amazing. So in an overall opinion, and view, i would say that ordering live rock online is a safe option, if you have no place to buy it from locally. Not to mention that it is usually cheaper online than at local fish stores. Aside from the shipping, of course. But the thing is, if you take into consideration that the fish store charges maybe 8-9$ per pound, but online you could get it for 3$.. then it is well worth it to pay the shipping for something that cheap. It will usually cost you less buying it online with shipping and all, then if you were to buy the same amount from your local fish store. Assuming that they sell theirs at a ridiculous price, which most of them do.
+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by match55 View Post
everything zero said and remember to cure them if you order online.
rofl
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
I laugh when I saw what I have posted LOL
well everyone should know that...just a friendly reminder XD
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
is back to save the day!

Yeap. Don't forget the cure you're rocks, otherwise you will most likely kill everything that already is in your tank. You can always use it to cycle your tank though, if you have not cycled it already. Here is a link to a nice article that should answer all your questions about cured and uncured live rock.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ick/Page1.html
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can also look on craigslist locally. I bought cured LR for $1 a LB because the guy was moving and had to sell it that same day. I bought 150Lb's and it is awesome!

Congrats on your first SW tank. Best of luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'm starting a fowlr as well...i decided to go with the crush coral substrate....and i'm looking for live rock to..my lfs is selling at 6.99 lb....but hek i'm stockin a 125 too...i'm feel your pain..i was going to be asking the same question...good post......what are some site you'll have used?? i'd rather go with what people have already used
Old 09-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I would rethink that crushed coral. You're going to run into nitrates down the line.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Check out some of the vendors on our site. They had some good LR I `ve heard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com