Quality Live Rock via Online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awetzel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I'm just starting up a 120g as a newbie to the hobby. I'm ready to rock (no pun intended) with the first cycle but I have no idea where to purchase my live rock. There are so many choices via the internet I was hoping someone would have some advice? I would like to start with a base/live combo due to the cost and size of the tank. LFS is not an option due to my location (in the middle of nowhere).

Can't tell you how excited we are to get started with the hobby! I've wanted salt water for years and finally have the opportunity.

Thanks!

My experience with ordering live rock was not a very good one, but i know a lot of people on this site that have ordered live rock from online and haven't had a single problem with it, and now, their tanks flourish and look amazing. So in an overall opinion, and view, i would say that ordering live rock online is a safe option, if you have no place to buy it from locally. Not to mention that it is usually cheaper online than at local fish stores. Aside from the shipping, of course. But the thing is, if you take into consideration that the fish store charges maybe 8-9$ per pound, but online you could get it for 3$.. then it is well worth it to pay the shipping for something that cheap. It will usually cost you less buying it online with shipping and all, then if you were to buy the same amount from your local fish store. Assuming that they sell theirs at a ridiculous price, which most of them do.

My experience with ordering live rock was not a very good one, but i know a lot of people on this site that have ordered live rock from online and haven't had a single problem with it, and now, their tanks flourish and look amazing. So in an overall opinion, and view, i would say that ordering live rock online is a safe option, if you have no place to buy it from locally. Not to mention that it is usually cheaper online than at local fish stores. Aside from the shipping, of course. But the thing is, if you take into consideration that the fish store charges maybe 8-9$ per pound, but online you could get it for 3$.. then it is well worth it to pay the shipping for something that cheap. It will usually cost you less buying it online with shipping and all, then if you were to buy the same amount from your local fish store. Assuming that they sell theirs at a ridiculous price, which most of them do.

+2

everything zero said and remember to cure them if you order online.

rofl :lol:

I laugh when I saw what I have posted LOL
well everyone should know that...just a friendly reminder XD

You can also look on craigslist locally. I bought cured LR for $1 a LB because the guy was moving and had to sell it that same day. I bought 150Lb's and it is awesome!

Congrats on your first SW tank. Best of luck!

i'm starting a fowlr as well...i decided to go with the crush coral substrate....and i'm looking for live rock to..my lfs is selling at 6.99 lb....but hek i'm stockin a 125 too...i'm feel your pain..i was going to be asking the same question...good post......what are some site you'll have used?? i'd rather go with what people have already used

I purchased my live rock through Premium Aquatics (premiumaquatics.com) several years ago because I wasn't happy with anything I found at my LFSs. I called them, described what I was looking for shape-wise, and the person I was talking to was standing over the tank 'o rocks describing them to me. Great customer service.

I bought cured rock, had it shipped airport-to-airport and picked it up at my local terminal. It was out of water at most 18 hours, and I had hardly any die off. And it was great stuff - exactly as described and exactly what I was looking for.

Wasn't cheap... but what good live rock is?

No matter where you get your rock from don't forget to at least rinse it out by swirling it around in SW. Even 18hrs will give you some die-off.

Back
Top Bottom