Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
oO BRIGHTY Oo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 400
Quantity and type of sand

Hi guys, brand new here so forgive my freshness and I may be asking some really obvious questions but anyway, I digress!!

I have recently purchased a 260 litre 1.2m and I'm setting up hopefully a FOWLR (think that is the correct term!) one of my first steps is getting my substrate, so I was wondering what type and what quantity of sand would be best!

Thanks guys!
__________________

__________________
oO BRIGHTY Oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by oO BRIGHTY Oo
Hi guys, brand new here so forgive my freshness and I may be asking some really obvious questions but anyway, I digress!!

I have recently purchased a 260 litre 1.2m and I'm setting up hopefully a FOWLR (think that is the correct term!) one of my first steps is getting my substrate, so I was wondering what type and what quantity of sand would be best!

Thanks guys!
Any sand will do.. im starting a 125 gallon here shortly im going to be using pool filter sand... you could also do play sand... I just like the grit of pool sand more.. just make sure you rince it well....
__________________

__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
As far as how much... a good 3 inch depth will be fine if your going for a deep sand bed more then 6 will do..
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
oO BRIGHTY Oo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 400
Ok that's great thanks jsmith, me and my wife was going to go for a tropical tank but on our recent honeymoon to the Maldives, we couldn't resist the allure of a marine setup! We have decided that we are going to go for a slightly different look in regards to decor in our tank but there will still be LR, we will be posting pictures as soon as we get it up and running!
__________________
oO BRIGHTY Oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by oO BRIGHTY Oo
Ok that's great thanks jsmith, me and my wife was going to go for a tropical tank but on our recent honeymoon to the Maldives, we couldn't resist the allure of a marine setup! We have decided that we are going to go for a slightly different look in regards to decor in our tank but there will still be LR, we will be posting pictures as soon as we get it up and running!
If you go ahead and start a build thread you can get help all along the way
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Oh and go with 5lbs of live rock and 25 lbs of baserock as you'll save money and base rock will become live anyway.
__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
oO BRIGHTY Oo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 400
Ok that sounds like a cheaper alternative, we want some skunk cleaner shrimp, would they be the best thing to start off with in the tank?!
__________________
oO BRIGHTY Oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by oO BRIGHTY Oo
Ok that sounds like a cheaper alternative, we want some skunk cleaner shrimp, would they be the best thing to start off with in the tank?!
To cycle? Or after your finished cycling?
__________________
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
oO BRIGHTY Oo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 400
After we finished cycling, we want to get the tank optimised as best we can first, what fish could you best recommend first?! Would it be a good idea to have the shrimp in the tank before the first fish or after?
__________________
oO BRIGHTY Oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ibrahim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,559
Add the least aggressive fish first. Fish you can get are clowns, gobies, blennies, and cardinal fish. You can also add a couple shrimp and a few crabs and snails as a clean up crew. As for a good list of fish I'd get for a 20 are
1 Goby
1 Cardinal
2 Occelaris Clowns
1 Blenny
1 Sally Lightfoot Crab or Emerald Crab
1 Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
and about 10 Hermit crabs 5 Nassarius and 5 Nerite Snails. That's basically it. This might even be on the slight side of overstocking. And I'm sure these fish and invertebrates are under 120 if you order online.
__________________

__________________
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.