Quarantine tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So almost everyone on here says a QT is needed. I need some opinions... My LFS QT's fish for 2-3 weeks before he lets them go. If he is doing that, do I really need to set up a QT?? He has an entire wall of QT and will sell fish off that wall for a cheaper price if they haven't gone through the entire process (hypo, etc..), but has no guarantee on them whatsoever... Seems like I can take em from his QT after the whole process, drip em, and let em free... What does everything think?

He`s just saying that they are in a tank. In most LFS the same water supplies all the tanks so if there is a sick or parasite infected fish then all fish are liable to have it. I would QT the fish IMO.

And if they do in fact have a separate water supply? The only reason I think it is, is because he does the whole hypo salinity, then blah blah whatever is after that haha, but he has a lot coral only tanks that I would imagine would be severely affected by this no?

It is possible you do ahve a good LFS, but it is always recommended that you QT yourself. There are lots of variables that comes from adding a new anything to your tank. I personally don't QT, and I should. I've had corals bring in nudibranches and fish with ich. If I had the room I would totally have one set up...just the small 2.5 gal tank I had on my stove wasn't good enough when I had more than 1 small fish come in...which always happens.

So what equipment do I need for a 10 gallon? Lights, filtration, etc...? Bare bottom I assume, so what type of filter media? Power head? Should I just use water from my 55 gallon? Or need to cycle this one too?

Back
Top Bottom