Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
What size tank and what equipment do you need for a quarantine tank? My aquarium will be a 180 FOWLR. Thanks,

A ten gallon tank, power head with sponge filter, heater (small), air pump and stone ( again small) , also a 3 or 4 inch round pcv pipe, I like to get the T fittings in that size at Home Depot (for hiding). run the power head with sponge filter in your main tank for two weeks. when you do your regular water change then use the old water and fill the Q tank and transfer your power head to the Q tank as well.

When you get your new fish in the Q tank you will need to monitor the ammonia levels every day and change ten % of your water as needed. the sponge filter will have some bacteria on it to break down ammonia, but you will still have to watch for increases. Steps down off :soap: box.

I would size your qtank based upon the size and type of fish you will be puting in your main tank. If a 10 is to small for the size of fish you intend to get for the 180 then a 20 gal tank would do or maybe even a 30. BUt a 20 would be a nice size if a 10 is to small.

I put PVC items in my qtank aswell to provide cover so the fish does not feel like it has no place to hide.

As time said a heater and powerhead and maybe even a small light so you can simulate the light cycle of your tank.

Since yoru going to be possibly using medication on your qtank live sand and rock is not something you want to be using unless you NEVER plan on putting those items back in the main tank.

The idea is to tear down your q tank when your done with it so it should have as little items as possible but at the same time have enough to provide a decent living condition for your fish for the few weeks they are in quarinteen.

also i will just add to what fishfreek has said. run a "foam filter" in the main tank all the time and when adding to the "Q" tank place the filter in there. when you have finished with the "Q" tank put the filter back in the main tank but replace the foam in the filter so as not to contaminate the main tank.

HTH
danny

Back
Top Bottom