Quarentine Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arsenalkt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm setting up a QT tank for future arrivals and I was curious on the cycling process if you use water from your main tank wouldn't that transport the Beneficial Bacteria? What would be the best way to go about cycling this tank. I've used half main tank water and half new water. Also what type of media should I use? Ive read not to use Carbon?
Thanks!

Get yourself a cheap HOB filter fill it with poly-fill hang it on your main tank for a week or two this will give the Bacti time to grow in the floss then when your ready to QT use the water from your water change to help fill the QT tank A few pieces of PVC pipe will give fish a place to hide reducing stress

When your done with QTing toss the poly-fill and clean every thing with a vinegar bath refill the HOB and put it back on the DT to get it ready for next time.

I agree with Grizz on the filter idea. Some people throw a sponge in their sump. It's the same basic idea... you always have something ready that has BB to throw in/on your QT (if you don't keep one running at all times, which a lot of people don't). BB is usually in your sand and rock, not so much in the water.

I'm not sure I would use tank water from a water change though. I'd assume it has some amount of Nitrate. For QT, I'd want pristine water that is starting off at zero.

I like to use some of the 'old' water my theory is the fish came from a dirty tank as most LFS tank are way over stocked and will have some nitrates. My feeling is it's less of a shock to the fish I do a PWC on my QT after 3 days anyways so the trates are gone soon I also test every 3 days to be sure things are stable

Back
Top Bottom