Quarentine Tank, please help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arsenalkt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Soooo..here's the situation, I'm really hoping someone can help me out. I'm fairly new to the aquarium keeping world, I've had a 75 g tank established for about 7 months now. I have a puffer that has been on and off with ich for a while now and now he's looking rather hot and bothered..he's eating, but other then that he's not looking so good. I want to set up a quarentine tank to put him in, but wonder if there's any point since it's obviously in my tank now..my huma trigger has it as well. I've been treating with herbtana, which has shown some success in the past with him, and did a freshwater dip today for him. Now as far as setting up a Quarantine, am i suppose to use water from the main tank, and then treat him with the appropriate medications, etc. Also I've heard yes to using a filter in Q tanks and no other places..would an aerator and frequent water changes due? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:thanks:

Water from your DT can be used. Whatever Ich is in it will be killed off by the Hyposalinity or copper that you will use to treat the fish. If your fish are in QT, you leave your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks and whatever Ich you have in there will die off due to not having a host. In the end you have a clean tank and you are putting clean fish back in. QT future additions and treat if necessary and your DT should stay disease free.

You can use a filter and you may still need partial water changes due to the QT not being cycled. Keep an eye on your parameters. Go bare bottom with some PVC pieces for hiding. I have a little power head for water flow.

Medications don't work. Garlic helps boost the immune system, so that helps, just does not cure anything. Freshwater dips might help, but don't get everything. Cleaner shrimp and/or wrasses don't get everything either.

Water from your DT can be used. Whatever Ich is in it will be killed off by the Hyposalinity or copper that you will use to treat the fish. If your fish are in QT, you leave your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks and whatever Ich you have in there will die off due to not having a host. In the end you have a clean tank and you are putting clean fish back in. QT future additions and treat if necessary and your DT should stay disease free.

You can use a filter and you may still need partial water changes due to the QT not being cycled. Keep an eye on your parameters. Go bare bottom with some PVC pieces for hiding. I have a little power head for water flow.

Medications don't work. Garlic helps boost the immune system, so that helps, just does not cure anything. Freshwater dips might help, but don't get everything. Cleaner shrimp and/or wrasses don't get everything either.

This may have been what you meant, but copper-based meds do work on ich. Pretty much anything else does not.

I use a 10 gallon tank for quarantine with a small power filter and a power head. Since the OP is in the middle of needing to treat, this advice is not feasible, but I placed three of the foam blocks for the power filter (AquaClear mini) into the sump of my DT for about a week to seed them, then moved them into the power filter. If you use copper, this should probably be a one-way trip as you don't want to contaminate your display with copper. If I break down the QT, I'll throw away the blocks and buy new ones to keep in the sump until I need them.

This may have been what you meant, but copper-based meds do work on ich. Pretty much anything else does not.

I use a 10 gallon tank for quarantine with a small power filter and a power head. Since the OP is in the middle of needing to treat, this advice is not feasible, but I placed three of the foam blocks for the power filter (AquaClear mini) into the sump of my DT for about a week to seed them, then moved them into the power filter. If you use copper, this should probably be a one-way trip as you don't want to contaminate your display with copper. If I break down the QT, I'll throw away the blocks and buy new ones to keep in the sump until I need them.

I like that idea with keeping foam blocks in the DTs Sump if your doing just a QT for a month do you put the blocks back in to the sump?

I like that idea with keeping foam blocks in the DTs Sump if your doing just a QT for a month do you put the blocks back in to the sump?

You could if there were no meds used in the QT to keep them seeded. I've ended up just keeping my QT running for the last couple of months though. It seems as soon as somehting comes out of it, something else goes in.

Now you shouldn't Qurentine fish together should you? Cause I have one ten gallon Q tank and 6 fish :(

I'm not a saltwater fishkeeper, but I've read that a large UV in saltwater tanks eliminates ich.

Get a cheap HOB fill it with poly-fill run it on your DT to seed the fill (1-2 weeks) then get a large (34gl.any smaller and those fish will be at war) tote,heater and power head use the HOB with the fill on the tote as your QT filter.

3-4 PVC elbo's will give them a place to hide. leave your DT fallow at least 8-12 weeks after your done with QT. Clean ever thing in the QT with vinegar, refill the HOB with poly-fill and replace on your sump to reseed for next time DO not use the QT heater or power head in any other tank. I dont use water from the main tank in my QT i just feel better knowing that it's new water Test the water in the QT every 2-3 days Sry for the long post.

ok sooo heres what i think i may do...give it a few more days..and treat with herbtana, if i see no improvement Quarentine my lionfish alone and get a huge rubbermaid to put the rest of the fish into to treat and leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. Well see how it goes, my poor puffer has been toughing this one out for a while so i hope all goes well

I'm not a saltwater fishkeeper, but I've read that a large UV in saltwater tanks eliminates ich.

It only eliminates what is in the water, which is not the majority of the Ich. The flow has to be set properly too or it runs through too quick and does not get all of it. Basically, UV helps a little, but is not a cure.

It only eliminates what is in the water, which is not the majority of the Ich. The flow has to be set properly too or it runs through too quick and does not get all of it. Basically, UV helps a little, but is not a cure.

+1, Quarantine/Hospital Tank is the best way to go. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

So I posted a new thread about my "solution" i dont think alot of people will agree, but i think it's kinda lose/lose situation. Thanks for all the advice thou, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom