Quarintine Tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 10 gal quarantine tank set up for my new fish which will be coming later this week, but I have a question. Drs. Foster & Smith's site implies that you should dose with a copper based medicine before any signs of illness occur is that the way to do it?

Or should I just keep them in there and keep an eye on the new fish for problems and medicate as needed?

I wouldn't use copper unless needed. I'm not a fan of maintaining copper just for the heck of it since prolonged exposure can harm fish I believe. But watch closely so that you can add it at the first sign and hopefully get better results. Need a copper test if you ever do.

mdjxt39 said:
Or should I just keep them in there and keep an eye on the new fish for problems and medicate as needed?
(y)

Copper is harmful to fish sometimes esp. tangs. The purpose of putting a fish in QT from start is to observe them to see if they have any problems and then treat if needed.

Back
Top Bottom