I am not offended in any way.
I was not ready to really start my cycling. I know that I need more LR
, and had planed on getting more prior to starting my cycle. I had wanted to get water in the tank and let the sand/sediment settle prior to adding the LR
(plus the stores all around me have not had a real good selection lately and I was going to travel about 75-100 miles on Monday to a few not so lfs
The so called "live" sand was CaribSea Arag-Alive. I have seen some movement in the sand, but not much. I am not holding out much hope that it is really "alive"
that my wife got the damsels at IMO
is very shady and I do not like it and had planned on staying very far away from it. One of the many reasons being, they have a NO RETURN policy (it is posted as you walk in the front door) . I was in the store and watched the owner yell at a customer on the phone over the return policy and then hang up on them.
I never wanted damsels, because they can be aggressive. Also, my protein skimmer has not arrived yet (I just ordered it online).
I know about the Nitrogen Cycle, as I have had FW
tanks most of my life, and have recently aquired a "certification" in aquatics for my job, of course this only deals with FW
as PetSmart does not have SW
I understand that this is not (and was never intended to be) the way to start. My wife thought she was talking to an "expert", and wanted to supprise me. (we have already discussed this, so as to not have a repeat)
My reason for the inital post is to see if anyone had some ideas about reducing the possible/probable stress on the damsels.
My plan of action I believe will be to let the tank sit for a week or two and keep an eye on the params of the water. I will slowly add LR
to the system. I had planned on buying un-cured and doing it myself, but I think that idea has gone out the window. I know that doing it this way will extend the "cycling" of the tank, but hopefully will save the fish, by not having too high of an ammonia spike at once.
As of this morning my params were:
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. I am going to call the lfs
, and see if they will take the fish back, I am just not holding much hope.
***EDIT*** I called the lfs
that sold the damsels to my wife. After being yelled and cursed at, and me not being so polite back, I still have the 3 damsels.