Question about a clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still cycling a new 45g tank with LR. No fish yet but I am bored now and wanted to know when should a crew up crew be introduced and what kind of make up would be best for a 45g.

The only fish that I know for sure I am getting are 2 Ocellaris Clownfish. Still looking/researching other fish to put in with them.

Thank for any info

I am getting two black and white clown fish myself. :) As far as I understand, you don't get a clean- up crew until it's needed. You don't want them to die from starvation! I can't answer as to when because I understand that it has to do with the needs of each individual tank. I'm a newbie myself and I started cycling mine on Saturday. I don't have a crew yet.

I hope this helps!

~Liza

You add the clean up crew after you add the fish otherwise they got nothing to clean up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Daryl- Whathe type of time frame would you recommend we wait before adding the crew? I appreciate your input!!!

~Liza

I've had my first fish in 3 weeks. Next week I've been recommended to add some. So a month after you add your fish.

Yeah about a month or so after you add the fish your params will be more stable then you don't need a massive clean up crew I've only got 7 turbos in my tank. And about 200 stometella snails

Well, just to be devils advocate here, lol, you technically dont "need" a cleanup crew. If you like the inverts, then sure by all means add some, BUT if you think you have to have them thats not really correct. :)

Keep in mind, that if the inverts are cleaning algae and stuff up they also Poop like fish do, and will contribute to the bioload of your tank.

I happen to LOVE LOVE crabs, like emeralds, so I always have them in my tanks. I also love the narcisius snails that emerge from the sandbed when you feed the tank, though they dont eat algae they are super cool too.

I have added inverts before fish, with fish and after fish. It really doesnt make a difference. Just make sure you can feed them if you dont have fish and arent feeding the tank for fish.

Back
Top Bottom