Question about additional led Lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
Currently have a 55g tank mixed w some clownfish a mandarin some damsels different mushrooms Xenia zoos and Duncan my question is my current lighting is an led light w 54-1w lights as well as a t-5 light 2x54w.... I want to add a submersible led strip to help coral growth and brighten up a little but don't know what to go with should I add more actinics or should I go 10000k they are both the same price for a 48" submersible strip but they don't have mixes lights please help and advise if adding one of these would even make a difference thanks

Do you have a link to the submersible lights? Most of those are for accent lighting only and aren't going to provide much usable light to your coral.

Aquatraders.com and it's the led strip lights submersible please let me know

Aquatraders.com and it's the led strip lights submersible please let me know

If each indivudual diode(bulb) Is less than 3 watts its not going to help the coral its just for accent I think the ones on aquatraders are less than 1 watt so know but I may be wrong.

Those are not going to be helpful in providing additional par to your coral. They are for accent lighting. 1W diodes are not good at all for reef lighting, as mentioned.

So I should not bother wih the led .... I bought the me light from them the 54-1w and since I have had star polyps Xenia and mushrooms spread nice just not too fast and also leathers seem to be bigger .... The strip light would not help at all?

I am sure at 900 lumens and 1W diodes, they would provide only a negligible amount of PAR.

I found same type of light in actinic with 18-1w LEDs with 1300 lumens would that make any difference?

I really want to help coral growth but dot want to replace both my lights I had just gotten them last year after updating from power compact is there anything else I could consider

Not really unfortunately. 1W LEDs just aren't suitable for most reef applications.

Back
Top Bottom