Question about Cured Live Rock..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
If the rock actually is cured when you buy it from a store, will it cause any great changes to the chemistry of your water? Particularly, will it do anything to an established tank? I would like to get some more live rock for a 20g but I'd rather not have fluctuations in the chemistry either. Thanks for any help.

I would order it online but I am concerned about die-off as it is shipped.

Well..if it is actually cured, then you wont have any problems....but....

The main problem with "cured" and Cured live rock is that the chances of the LFS actually knowing how long a specific piece has been in their curing tank is pretty slim. Think about it...if you have 600.00 lbs of rock in a tank, people shifting and moving it around all the time, rock being purchased...new rock being shipped in...what are the chances of you keeping track of which ones are "cured" and which ones are Cured?

My suggestion...treat all LR as uncured for at least the first week. Place it in a rubber maid tub w/ a heater and a p/h and let it do its thing. If after one week there is no change in the water chemistry then you should be fine.

If your ordering it on line...its uncured. period.

That help? :wink:

Great advice and could nto have said it better myself.

Its not overly expensive to setup a holding area for your rock. After 24 hours test for ammonia and nitrite. If neither exist then you can add it to your tank. If either exist then continue to hold the rock in the holding facility until no ammonia or nitrite is detected.

A simple rubbermaid tub, bucket, qt tank, plastic trashcan can be used as the holding facility depending on the amount of rock. Drop a heater in there to keep the water up to tank temp and drop at least one powerhead in to provide water movement.

After 24 hours test for ammonia and nitrite. If neither exist then you can add it to your tank. If either exist then continue to hold the rock in the holding facility until no ammonia or nitrite is detected.
Wouldn't these levels vary, based on the amount of water in the vessel? I mean, if you put one 2lb piece in a 50gal tranh can, would the LR put off enough of these chemicals to me measured, even if it's not suitable for the tank yet?

Hypostomus, Hi "Ron of Triton" here. we sell a aquacultured live rock that is brought in on our boats with hundred of life forms. We transport it in baskets covered with a wet blanket. Then the rock is put into 1, 000 gal tanks for 3-5 days, with giant skimmers to skim and cure the small percentage of die off. We ship 1,000 of lbs. all over the country every month. Unless there is a problem with the overnite shipping our rock gets to the customer very fresh, and tank ready. We have not had any major complaints on ammonia spikes. Some times our customers will find a weak sponge on our rock that is dying, and we tell them to remove it by scrubbing the area that the sponge was on with a tooth brush and salt water. I do like "Squishyfish" idea of the tupperware QT. But we have found that it is not neccesary with the majority of our shipments. Our rock is brought fresh from the ocean and cured of weak inverts,animals etc.. and then sent directly overnite to customers. Hope this helps all who read. "Ron of Triton"

got bait? said:
After 24 hours test for ammonia and nitrite. If neither exist then you can add it to your tank. If either exist then continue to hold the rock in the holding facility until no ammonia or nitrite is detected.
Wouldn't these levels vary, based on the amount of water in the vessel? I mean, if you put one 2lb piece in a 50gal tranh can, would the LR put off enough of these chemicals to me measured, even if it's not suitable for the tank yet?

Thats why I suggested a week.

Ron of Triton..This is certainly not directed at you personally, but I have alot of money invested in my system, as most of us do. To take the word of a online company that their rock is "cured" just so I can avoid housing the rock in a rubber maid tub for a week isnt worth the risk of killing off my entire tank because one piece got by them. And I still stick by my original position...its not like its a "first in, first out" system. Its more like "first in, mix it all up, hope its first out."

Got bait, I did not take your opinion personally, I believe it is an awesome idea to QT the rock, and your description of curing in the rubber maid is great. In regards to first in first out mix it all up, that we definitely do not do. All of our fresh harvests are set in separate tanks. In fact all of our live base rock is in its own holding tank. The live base rock is what is left over from our harvests of 4,000-5,000lbs. We will take the last of our left over rock that is totally seeded and has all of the micro-organisms of our best rock, it may not have the color or the character of our premium rock, but is totally alive and sold as base rock. We have several hundred lbs. left from each harvest, and we will not sell it as our premium rock.You are right most companys do not keep there rock seperate. We however do liverock & livesand as our only business. And our motto is: "Do one thing and do it better" in other words we use the KISS program: (keep it simple stupid). We do not handle any other types of animals ,dry goods, supplies etc... In this way we can afford to take our time with our product and try to make it the best available on the market. Thats our goal, and we welcome any suggestions or questions that will help us to market a better product, & service. With all respect: Ron.

actually, It was me not got bait :wink: But it sounds like your company is doing it right. Now you just need to educate the rest of the hobby. :mrgreen: How much does your live sand sell for? Is there an AA discount!? :wink: I need to add about 300lbs of sand to mine and about 150 to my wifes tank.

Squishy

Thanks for the answers from everyone. Ron, that live rock looks great and for a good price! I'll certainly look into it when I get a chance.

squishy

goto sponsor for and talk to zack from liverocks.com and he will give you a discount. i'm not sure how much it is but, i made the mistake of ordering at there web site and i didn't get the discount. but i did talk to zack and he said he would make it up to me next time.

hth

mark

Oh fiddlesticks, I wish I knew about the discount! I never got it either. Was this just something everyone knew?

i didn't know about it either. pm zackat liverocks.com sponsor forum, and let him know your situation. he's a great guy i'm sure he'll do something.

mark

Back
Top Bottom