Question about live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taran01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I have another question. My first tank that I got I bought from someone else. They only had a few pieces of live rock in the tank, but I found out later that they had treated the tank with copper based medications to treat ick. Does this stay in the tank? Does it stay in the live rock? I've had the tank up for a year with carbon in my filters will this take care of the copper or not? The reason behind my question is I wanted to move my live rock over to my new tank if at all possible, but I plan to have anemones and invert. in that tank. So does anyone know if that rock is okay to move or is that a no no. Thanks taran

If it has been a year, and you have been running carbon in your filtration, I would suggest that it has had time to leach the copper out of the rock and it should be safe... You can get a copper test kit and test for it in your water, if the level is acceptable, by all means use it...JMO

I'm sorry, I disagree. The copper that is used in aquariums is known as chelated copper. This form of copper absorbs into everything. The bad part is, it can leach out of whatever it absorbed into forever. The bad part about live rock, it is so pirous, that it can act like a spnge, and show no results on a test kit, because the copper is hidden from the water. But, LR breaks down, which could cause a releaching if you will back into the tank. I wouldn't trust it, but thats just me. Good luck 0X

According to everything I have been reading, yes, the rock would absorb some of the copper. However, over time, this continues to leach out, and get filtered out. I am not saying that it is not possible to have some copper still in the rocks, highly unlikely after a year of no more introduction, don't know, I am not a scientist. I would like to add that if you are showing good signs of growth such as inverts (pods, hydroids, feather duster, serpulid worms) and Coraline growth, be aware that these things are very susceptable to copper and die off. If you have abundance of these things on the rock, chances are, you are ok...ultimately it is your decision and FWIW, I HTH

Back
Top Bottom