Question about snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClaytonMG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright so this is somewhat of a multi-part question. I appear to have the Diatom algae in my tank. It's not that bad (yet, as I just cleaned the tank), at first I thought it was the cyano stuff, but it's not really a red color, it's more like a rust which is how Diatoms is described and it would make sense that I'd be getting it now. But! My question is this, I have a chocolate chip starfish who's not really staying on the rocks, he's just on the glass most of the time. Should I still get a grazing snail to help the problem or would those 2 end up having problems with each other? I thought about getting a scooter blenny, but I don't know if they'll do the same job as the snail. Plus I don't know if it would conflict with my starfish. I already know about making sure the blenny eats prepared food, which it does. I already asked back when I was going to get one but I figured I wouldn't need one because I already had a starfish. Anyway, thanks for the help!

You need snails. They will not present problems with the starfish. Scooter blennies will not do anything for the problem you are having. An cyano can be rust colored. So can dinoflagellates.

Thanks for the quick response! Is there any way to tell the difference between the algaes? I will be going to pick up snail(s) in a bit! Thanks!

Diatoms are a more powerdery brown, wipes off easily with your hand. Cyano is thicker and lays in sheets. Dino is sometimes referred to as "snotty" in appearance.

Then I'd say it's closer to Diatoms. If you even just nudge the rocks a little bit it's gone.

Mexican Turbo and Nerite snails will take care of the diatom issue and they eat cyano too.

Thanks for the replies! Just out of curiosity, what happens if I run out of algae for him to eat? Is there some food that snails like? I have these shrimp pellets that my chocolate chip starfish loves, would the snail like them too?

They are scavangers and there will always be enough fish waste and stuff in the tank for them.

Back
Top Bottom