Question about tangs..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I currently have a yellow tang that is 2-3 inches and were to add a powder blue about the same size, would I have a problem? I know tangs dont always get along but I was unsure if anyone had experience with both?

Powder blues are pretty aggressive toward other tangs. What size tank?

90 gallon. This should me my last fish though.. Isnt it okay for the last fish you add to be more aggressive?

Yes, that is true. The powder blue should be in at least 100G. What other fish do you have?

Snowflake eel, yellow tang, maroon clown, dwarf fire angel, engineer goby, sweetlips, longnose butterfly :)

I'd prefer to say that tangs would do better in a 6ft tank than a 4ft tank. Assuming your 90 is a 48" high version and the number of 'eventually larger species' already in the tank another tang may be pushing it (assuming you LNB makes it). Now if the 90 is a 90 long that's another story.. Lateral swimming space is the key not so much gallons IMO.

Yep, I agree, I should have said that instead of the size (gallons) of the tank. Thanks for the input CaptainAhab!

I'd prefer to say that tangs would do better in a 6ft tank than a 4ft tank. Assuming your 90 is a 48" high version and the number of 'eventually larger species' already in the tank another tang may be pushing it (assuming you LNB makes it). Now if the 90 is a 90 long that's another story.. Lateral swimming space is the key not so much gallons IMO.
I agree 100%. I would not put more than 1 tang in a 4' tank.

I agree also with the captain. 6 ft is better than 4 ft. A yellow tang is quite fiesty also.

I also agree that tangs need 6' minimum for swimming room. I have a 6' tank and with it were longer.

I also note that you have a sweetlips in that 90. What type? Most are recommended for a 150 minimum.

My tank is the 48" and you are right it would be nicer if it was longer, it is a harlequin sweetlips , yes the tank should be larger, he is still small and I am planning on doing a tank this coming spring that should be more than adequate for him.

The only issue with the sweetlips is that my Maroon clown is very aggressive and has begun to tear up his fins. Should I find a home for the maroon or do you guys have a suggestion?

I will not put another tang in the tank. I will look around and see what I like, maybe a trigger?

The maroon will probably bully most other new fish. They are very aggressive once they claim their territory.

I understand that the maroon will be a bully but when should I take action? Is it ok for his fins to get a little bit up?

You can keep the maroon in your QT until you have all your other critters in the tank. That way they can find their hiding spots, then re-add the clown and it might think it is new.

I agree with Scott. Remove the maroon for a while (all it takes is a day or 2, but a week would be berter). Then add it back. It will have to find it's place in the tank and the pecking order again.

Back
Top Bottom