Question About UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanMonster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been reading a lot about UV lately. Seems to be many claims that it helps keep the water clearer. I just got back into SW last June after stepping away for about 12 years (moved a lot in the military). I had one back then and it just seemed like an expensive flashlight. I know it is supposed to kill bacteria, etc, but won't it kill the good bacteria and throw the cycle out of whack? Twelve years ago I didn't have many good resources and wasted a lot of money. Now I want to do it right.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Most of the good bacteria is on the surface of rocks and other items, not in the water column. Adding one will not change the cycling of your tank.

As for a UV I've never had one. Although a friend swears by it. It has kept his water clearer though. He turned it off once, and the difference after 24hrs was pretty noticeable.

Maybe someone with personal experience with a UV can chime in.

I had one for about 10 yrs and I think they do good for algea spores and heavy infestation of ich but the only thing that is going to get killed is what goes through that lighted chamber and ich for the most part stays down near the substrate.I have not used one the last 4 yrs.

Yeah, if you're debating whether to get a UV or another item, I'd say spend it on a larger skimmer or better lights etc.

If you have your tank near a window and having problems with a greenish tint to the water it would probably help. I had a koi pond in the yard for a couple years and you could tell pretty quick when the UV bulb went out because the water would turn green. Replace the bulb and it would clear up in about a day.

Yep. great for green water outbreaks. I would rather run carbon to clear up the water though. It will do a much better job.

Thanks. I think I'll go the carbon route. Seems like I could buy a lot of carbon for what it costs to buy a UV bulb. My lfs owner also said to be very careful with feeding ( ie. it's better to feed on the light side than to be heavy handed with the food.

Agreed. I feed a tank i maintain 2 x a week and have been doing so for over a year and the fish are fat and happy.

I'm probably a bit late to chime in and I'm definately not the most knowledgable person but I bought one about 3 months ago as I had an outbreak of ich and didn't have a QT setup so didn't have many options

I will say it saved my tank from complete wipeout and one of my clownfish was on its last legs when I bought the UV, it made pulled through!

Will also say I was having major algae outbreak on my substrate and in a week of it being on it cleared it completely.

I'm all for UV steriliser's but understand that it's not the perfect ich solution, since then I've set up a QT for a back up!

Back
Top Bottom