Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Question about what gets in your tanks?

Odd question for you all. I have been advised by the majority of you to go without the glass top to avoid gas exchange and PH problems.

Questions: I live in a studio condo so it is rather small. My girlfriend cooks 8 ft. away and I am a smoker. Should any of this be a concern getting in the tank? I also dont like how tiny bits of salty water jump onto the plastic shield of my light from the movement because I feel it is unsafe but I can live with it.

She is already mad because I will not let her spray anything out of the bathroom. Next she can't cook..LOL

Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about the cooking or about any spray that doesn't actually fall into the tank after sprayed into the air. Also, on the cooking - - unless we're talking heavy fumes from something done wrong (can she cook???? ), I guess I don't see a problem.

As far a smoking goes, I'd consider either using an air cleaner (plug in type, sits on the floor w/filters etc) or the obvious...you know. I'm not sure one smoker out of the house for 8-10 hrs daily and sleep for another 6-8 hours can smoke enuf in there to be a problem. Not sure, but that's my uneducated input.

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a small apt with 3 tanks and occasionally spray an air freshener; my 55 gallon has a canopy that is open in the back and no glass. I don't spray too close to the tanks and have not had any problems. The biggest thing I would worry about is spraying anything with ammonia in it as ammonia is very volatile and can be absorbed into the water from the air very, very easily. So keep the Windex away! I don't think cooking will hurt, after all, you eat it, and most of what you eat your fish could eat too.

I would agree with the air purifier for the smoke, as it'll be better for you and your girlfriend anyway, and the next inhabitants of your condo will thank you too!
newfound77951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com